Panthers win with penalty kick

The Eastern women’s soccer team (2-0) kicked off its season over the weekend with two wins in non-conference play.

The Panthers defeated the Evansville Aces, 1-0 Sunday on Lakeside Field, after defeating Indiana-Purdue University Indianapolis Friday, 2-0. Eastern head coach Summer Perala said she was very happy with her team and looks forward to a winning season.

The Panthers clashed with Evansville Sunday and controlled play for the entire match, giving their offense multiple scoring chances; however, they were unable to capitalize in regulation, despite having 10 more shots than the Aces.

Eastern battled down to the wire, and needed extra time for the game to be decided Sunday. Sophomore midfielder Kristin Germann capitalized on a penalty kick in the 95th minute to give the Panthers a 1-0 victory.

Germann had a productive day both offensively and defensively and capped off her day with the game-winning goal after having four shots on goal throughout the game.

Senior goalkeeper Kaylin Lorbert and her defense have not allowed a goal this season through Sunday’s win against Evansville and will look to continue that streak Friday against Valparaiso.

Perala said she was pleased with her defense, giving a lot of credit to Lorbert, junior defender Erika Prazma and Germann for controlling the middle of the field.

Overall, Perala said she was proud of her team’s effort this weekend, but will look for leadership to rise, and count on her offensive attack of sophomore forward Ashley Streid, senior forward Kaitlin Sullivan and junior midfielder Elise Farrelly to lead the way.

Perala was impressed with the play of Prazma during Friday afternoon’s game against IUPUI, calling her “the little Mack truck.” Perala said she looks for the junior’s tough play to continue throughout the season.

During Friday’s game, Streid got the Panthers started on the right foot with a goal in the third minute against the IUPUI. The goal provided Eastern with a quick boost, and forced the Jaguars to play from behind the entire match.

Sullivan added an insurance goal for the Panthers late in the second half in route to a 2-0 victory over the defending Summit League champions.

After the match, Perala admitted that she knew the game was going to be a tough one and said she was thrilled with the team effort.

With the two wins, the Panthers are 2-0 for the first time since 2001 and will be back in action against Valparaiso (1-0) 7 p.m. Friday in Valparaiso, Ind.

Jordan Pottorff can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Panthers win with penalty kick

Panthers win with penalty kick

Freshman defender/midfielder Caitlin Greene races Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis sophomore defender Kelli Parks to the ball Friday at Lakeside Field. (Danny Damiani