Weekend series critical for team

This weekend is of vital importance to the baseball team, as Eastern tries to get its first conference win against Austin Peay at Coaches Stadium.

The Panthers were swept last weekend to Eastern Kentucky to start 0-3 in the Ohio Valley Conference. This is the worst league start for head coach Jim Schmitz in his 16-year tenure. Eastern has lost five straight games and 10 of its last 11.

If the Governors (14-10, 2-1 OVC) win two out of three or sweep the Panthers, Eastern will probably be out of league contention.

“I told the team after EKU, and I really feel this, if our focus is getting to the point of what we need to do against Austin Peay and how important is it, it isn’t the focus that needs to take place,” Schmitz said. “If we don’t do parts of the game better – and that’s the hitting, pitching, fielding – then it’s not going to do well.”

Schmitz said the pressure of winning the series hurts his team. He said one could sense the pressure on the team after each loss.

“Going into OVC play, we thought we had a lot of confidence last week,” Schmitz said.

“I think that it does carry over just watching how the guys are running onto the field and going after the ball. We are not at that level yet where these guys have confidence, so we have to do a better job.”

Eastern is facing Austin Peay for the first time since 2008 when they split two games with the Governors. Last season, their May 8 and 9 series were rained out.

Schmitz said the Governors’ personnel has changed, but they have the same style of play.

“They’re like EKU in that they are noted for stealing a lot,” Schmitz said. “They like to run, so that part of the game we have to do better when it comes to throwing people out.”

To counter the Governors’ base running game, the coach is calling upon junior pitcher Brent McNeil (0-2, 7.30 ERA) to start Sunday if junior ace Josh Mueller (0-1, 2.81 ERA) is not cleared to throw. McNeil had two pick offs against Chicago State March 23.

“He does a good job of picking people off and keeping the running game to a minimum, so that will be a key,” Schmitz said.

Junior picher Mike Recchia (2-2, 5.61 ERA) is staring Friday’s first game at 1 p.m. Sophomore pitcher Mike Hoekstra (1-1, 4.43 ERA) has the second game of the doubleheader Friday.

The series finale is at 1 p.m. Saturday with either Mueller or McNeil on the mound.

Bob Bajek can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Weekend series critical for team

Weekend series critical for team

Sophomore infielder Zach Borenstein makes a putout from third base against Chicago State March 23 at Coaches Stadium. The Panthers are on a five-game losing streak and face Austin Peay this weekend. (Amir Prellberg / The Daily Eastern News)