Tennis torched once again

Tennis torched once again

One year ago today the Eastern women’s basketball team hosted a first-round game in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament.

The Panthers took care of business and afterward, the lights in Lantz Arena turned off. The game was over and everyone went home.

Fast-forward one year later, and everything has changed.

Not for the women, of course.

While the women took care of business yet again, this year it was the men’s turn to put on a show. They had the prime time slot in Lantz Arena, taking the court against the Colonels for their own OVC Tournament showcase.

They did not disappoint.

And with a 68-61 victory, the Eastern men’s and women’s basketball teams can head to Nashville, Tenn., Friday together, both fighting for a prestigious spot in the NCAA Tournament.

Head coach Mike Miller’s effort in turning around a program that was 7-22 two season ago is remarkable in its own. That year’s squad only has three players – senior center Ousmane Cisse, junior guard Tyler Laser and junior center Matt Dorlack – on this year’s trend-breaking team.

So you can understand when Cisse threw his arms in the air and let out an emphatic scream when the clock struck zero.

Now, they can celebrate like they never have – and possibly never thought they would.

It’s a shining star on an until-now questionable coaching resume for Miller, who leads his first Eastern squad to Nashville.

Of course, the honeymoon won’t last long. Murray State looms Friday, and the Racers have done just as their nickname suggests throughout the OVC regular season.

Likewise, they throttled the Panthers in two meetings this season, and only have one blemish on their For the women, though, they’re hungry. They’ve been here before and have come home heartbroken each time. They know they are just two victories shy of doing what the teams in year’s past could not.

For the men, it’s about taking the next step. They will be huge underdogs Friday, but an upset there puts them on the national stage. Two upsets and they make history.

But until then, Panther fans can rejoice in knowing their teams put on performances Tuesday that will go down in Eastern lore. What comes next is in question.

But it’s a great moment, nonetheless.

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Tennis torched once again

Panther tennis seems to be in a slump going into conference play, as the men sit with a record of 3-10 and the women at 4-7.