Four-match losing streak ends

The Panthers clawed past Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis 5-2 in their first home match of the season yesterday at Darling Courts.

The Eastern women’s tennis team now sits at 3-6 on the season as it snapped a four-match losing streak, while IUPUI dropped to 0-11.

The team started the day off hot as it swept the Jaguars in doubles play, earning the point.

The team of freshman Kristen Laird and sophomore Shannon Brooks took their doubles match easily, beating Hunter Bullock and Shelby Hullett, 8-4.

“I think we played pretty good,” Laird said. “Shannon and I did really good finishing out points.”

Eastern head coach John Blackburn was pleased with his team’s performance on the doubles court.

“Winning all three of the doubles matches was a big plus today,” Blackburn said. “It’s nice to not just get two, but three of them.”

The singles play was dominant, as the Panthers took four out of the five matches.

Brooks defeated Hullett in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2.

“I felt good,” Brooks said. “I thought we played well, not the best, but pretty well.”

Junior Cara Huck earned her first singles win of the season as she defeated Janel Seng in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.

Freshman Merritt Whitley was the other Panther to earn a win, beating Alisha Haskett in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.

Blackburn was impressed with the team’s aggressiveness in singles play.

“All of the girls came out and took care of business,” Blackburn said. “But Kristen in particular. I liked the aggressiveness coming to the net.”

The highlights of the day came from all of the singles winners.

“All of the people who won in singles were the highlights; Shannon, Carra, Kristen and Merritt all played good singles.”

The Panthers will hit the court again on March 21 when they will host conference foe Tennessee Tech at 11 a.m. on Darling Courts.

Dane Urban can be reached

at 581-7944

or [email protected]

Four-match losing streak ends

Four-match losing streak ends

Sophomore Shannon Brooks returns a shot during her doubles match against IUPUI Wednesday afternoon at Darling Courts. (Amir Prellberg / The Daily Eastern News)