Softball team on a power surge

Power is good when it is there, but a burden when it is not for Eastern’s softball team this season.

The Panthers lacked the power they have shown all season as they went 1-4 at the Arkansas Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark., last weekend.

Eastern (6-7) is pleased to add power to its lineup this season, helping it win the Georgia State Panther Invitational and finish runner-up in the Tulsa Embassy Suites Invitational.

“(Power) is going to come and go and right now, it’s here,” head coach Kim Schuette said. “So hopefully, we keep it here.”

Eastern has been led down the power alley by three big bats early on this season.

Junior third baseman Kiley Holtz, junior first baseman Melinda Jackson and senior outfielder Denee’ Menzione have been the main sources of power for the team.

“I’m seeing the ball really well this year, so far,” Jackson said.

Jackson has three home runs and 12 RBIs this season, a major improvement from her first two seasons.

In her first two seasons, Jackson has tallied three home runs and 27 RBIs; however, this season, Jackson’s major improvement has been her ability to see the ball.

“In the past I’ve struggled seeing the ball, but coach (Jason Dorey) always says to turn your head to the plate and watch the ball all the way,” Jackson said.

As the team’s best hitter, Schuette slots Jackson third in the lineup.

Following Jackson, the four, five and seven slots have shuffled between the bats of Holtz, Menzione and sophomore infielder Ashley Anderton.

“(Anderton) has been a big surprise for us, she’s been hitting really well,” Schuette said.

Jackson has earned her No. 3 batting spot after working hard to improve her game this offseason.

“Jackson put in a ton of work over Christmas break – probably about 3,000 swings is what we’ve tracked her at in a hitting facility,” Schuette said.

“What she’s been doing right now, she has earned.”

Holtz has 10 home runs in her career, including two already this season.

On the other hand, Menzione has been a major home run threat since being inserted into Eastern’s lineup. She has 21 career home runs.

For Holtz, this season’s power has been all about staying focused at the plate.

“I’ve been trying to keep my head down because when I tend to do that, the ball goes a lot further and I hit a lot better,” Holtz said.

Holtz’s .344 batting average is second on the team behind Menzione. When she comes to the plate, Holtz said she has the mindset to drive the ball up the middle because she cannot go up to bat thinking you will hit a home run.

“It could be a little luck,” Holtz said.

In four of Eastern’s six wins this season, the team has hit at least one homer.

The Panthers’ next game will be against Middle Tennessee State March 17.

Alex McNamee can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Softball team on a power surge

Softball team on a power surge

Senior outfielder Denee’ Menzione, junior infielder Melinda Jackson and junior infielder Kiley Holtz provide power to the Panthers’ lineup.(Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)