Swimming: Panthers sink Saint Louis again

For the second time this season, the Panther men’s and women’s swim teams beat Saint Louis Saturday in Lantz Arena.

Eastern’s men’s team (6-2) won 135-70, while the women (5-3) dispatched the Billikens 120-85.

Panther head coach Matt Bos said he was pleased with beating the Billikens again after going six seasons without a triumph over their rivals.

“We haven’t beaten Saint Louis in a long time and to beat them twice with both squads this year was nice,” Bos said. “It was a good way to end our dual meet season and a good way for the seniors to go out.”

Senior swimmers Lauren Zillmer and Laura Nilsen won two events. Zillmer won the 100-yard freestyle (53.85 seconds) and the 200 free (1:40.53), while Nilsen placed first in the 200-yard individual medley (2:12.96) and the 100-yard backstroke (1:00.28).

Bos said Zillmer had her best times of the year.

For the men’s side, Bos said the men won easily compared to the Nov. 20 meet where Eastern won during the last race by a score of 114-107.

“We took care of them early and kind of jumped up on them and pretty much a good lead throughout the meet,” Bos said.

Bos said sophomore Tyler Hsieh had a solid meet in finishing first in the 200 free (1:44.79).

“This was only the second time he swam the 200 free and actually swam it the fastest out of anyone this year in that event,” Bos said. “He is usually a sprint freestyler 50 and 100 guy, so he had a solid time.”

Junior swimmer Megan Eshleman said beating Saint Louis is huge.

“I remember my freshman year, we went out there and they just beat us to a pulp,” Eshleman said. “It was terrible. For them to come here and for us to get on them early and pull through again is awesome. It’s a good feeling.”

Junior swimmer Sofia Pappanastos agrees that she has seen an improvement in the swim program’s progress.

“Saint Louis is one of those teams that is going to be good competition and a very hard team to beat,” Pappanastos said. “The way everyone has been working, it’s been paying off obviously because we have won both meets. I think Bos brought a lot to the team to help us be where we are.”

The Panthers will continue training until the Summit League championships beginning Feb. 18 at Indianapolis, Ind.

Bob Bajek can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Swimming: Panthers sink Saint Louis again

Freshman Hailey Foss strokes toward a turn during the women’s 1,000 yard freestyle during the home finale and senior day meet against St. Louis University held at Padovan Pool on Saturday. Foss won the event with a time of 10:59.40. (Jordan Boner/The Dai