Sunday Worship: the Super Bowl

Ah, the Super Bowl.

This is the day of worship for those of us devoted to the wonderful religion of football (or ridiculous ads).

People gather together with family and friends, engaging in jokes, eating fattening foods and maybe having one too many beers.

Now, since my Chicago Bears played more like cuddly teddy bears then ferocious monstrosities, I thought I would not have a team to root for.

But in actuality, I – and we – do.

The New Orleans Saints.

None other than Eastern alumnus, Sean Payton, coaches the Bad Boys of the Bayou. If the Panther turned religious’ team puts down a good ole’ whipping on the Indianapolis Colts, an Eastern graduate will hoist the Lombardi Trophy once again.

So, Eastern, let’s cheer for those Saints.

If the Saints triumph this Super Bowl Sunday, there are many positives for Eastern besides hurricane torn New Orleans.

First of all, Payton has agreed with athletic director Barbara Burke to be the keynote speaker for the Feb. 24 Athletic Director’s Gala at the Hilton Garden Inn in Effingham. This is only the second year the Gala has been held.

Tickets are going for $100 per person or $150 a couple with all proceeds going to Eastern student athletes.

“The fundraising for the Gala is really resources for our legacy, which is capital project campaign,” Burke said. Burke will also be speaking about the future vision of intercollegiate athletics from a facility standpoint.

In other words, having Payton speak, especially if he has a ring, might increase donations at the Gala and during future events Payton’s star could help make these facility projects a reality sooner.

Second, the Eastern football team would have more prestige.

In a previous interview with Panther defensive coordinator Roc Bellantoni, he said having alums like Payton in the NFL helps sell Eastern football to potential recruits. Any success in Payton or his fellow Panthers have in the professional ranks reflect well for the mid-major program.

Third, this event could help raise campus pride in Eastern athletics. It is no secret a good portion of students would rather watch the NFL or even other college teams play instead of attending their own school’s games.

Our athletes have champion like attitudes, just as former stud Panther QB Payton did. Maybe student attendance will increase a bit to witness this champion attitude.

So, ladies and gents, get ready to put on your Reggie Bush jersey and root for him and his fellow Bad Boys of the Bayou to whip those nasty Colts.

Who’s up for some E-I-E-I-E-I-U chants after each Saints’ touchdown?

Bob Bajek can be reached at 581-7944

or [email protected]

Sunday Worship: the Super Bowl

Sunday Worship: the Super Bowl

From the Easel(Illustration by David Thill/The Daily Eastern News)