Spoon yet to bite dust as they retune ’90s

Rating: B-

For some people the 1990s were depressing times for the state of music. The trend was based on hit singles and making as much money as a label could in a short period of time. Few bands that formed in the early ’90s are still on the music scene today.

Spoon is one band that is defying the odds.

Formed in 1993, Spoon has just released a new album titled “Transference.” The album as a whole is composed of mildly varied song tempos and lyrics that become repetitive after a few listens. Stemming from the ’90s, the band has not lost touch with its dark alternative roots, and it has instead adapted to current music trends and produced a quality record that would make Oasis grind its teeth.

Throughout the entire album lead vocalist Britt Daniel sounds similar to a young Mick Jagger as he forcefully drives the lyrics home with tones of rawness and British draw, although the band is based out of Austin, Texas.

A great example of this is on the break-beat driven melody track “Written in Reverse.” The song is infectious, to say the least, as the piano slams and the guitars strum on the off beats. This combined with chugged through lyrics makes it one of the more memorable tracks from the album.

Some songs are not such a delight to listen to such as the song “Got Nuffin.” This song begins with a fast-paced bass line that doesn’t let up throughout its entirety. This combined with lyrics such as “When that blood goes rattling through my veins / My ears start to ring / I notice what matters / And I got nothing to lose but darkness and shadows / Got nothing to lose but bitterness and patterns,” make this just another love song about regretting not being with a loved one. All together it sounds repetitive and tiresome, but I am sure it would have been great for the ’90s.

It isn’t just this song that dwindles on and on. Another example is the song “Nobody Gets Me But You.” The misunderstood lover card is played all over the track as cheesy synths and steady drum machine beats bore the listener into feeling sympathetic.

One unique aspect of the song is the use of broken piano scales sparsely streaming in and out of each speaker or headphone. It distracts the listener just enough to enjoy the song as an unusual use of melodies and remains awkwardly canny to his ears.

Overall the album stands as a break from the mundane music often heard on alternative radio stations today. The band has learned to adapt to the ever-changing music trends while still keeping its ’90s roots in tact.

Repetitive as many of the tracks may sound, it is still refreshing to hear a band make music record labels don’t have any influence on. Well, at least it isn’t noticeable.

Brad York can be reached at 581-7942 or

[email protected].

Spoon yet to bite dust as they retune 90s

Photo courtesy of Merge records