Providing Charleston with music since 1973 and no plan to stop

It seems as though Charleston is a black hole of sorts for up and coming businesses as they try to keep up with a failing economy, while also having college-aged adults as their main consumers.

One local business has adapted to the technology driven change of times and managed to meet a long list of friends along the way.

Z’s Music and Sound System Services, located at 606 Jackson Ave. in Charleston, is a company owned and operated by Mike Ziebka. Ziebka began working for the business in 1973 and has watched the store adapt to changing technology throughout the years.

“The biggest change for us was about 18 months ago, going from analog mixing consoles to all digital with touch screens and movable faders,” Ziebka said. “You either stay current and with the trends or somebody else will. Technology is something we are all forced to deal with and embrace.”

Ziebka’s business has supplied Charleston with a variety of musical instruments, as well as sound system installations and rentals.

He believes that taking on some of these “behind-the-scenes” jobs, such as the sound system services, is the main reason his business still thrives.

“We’ve done football stadiums, basketball (stadiums), baseball diamonds,” Ziebka said. “So, we wear a lot of hats in a small town because as of now, you can see the retail, there is no one here, but it doesn’t matter. It’s stuff that the general populous never gets to see.”

Another way Ziebka has adapted to his specific location is through his product brands and the prices he sets for these products.

“Typically the market will set the tone,” Ziebka said. “Obviously being in a college town we look for products that have a value or a general price range that will be affordable to the college kids. It’s keeping things in perspective. Realizing your target market is probably the most critical.”

A young market is facing critical times now. It has been a relatively new trend for schools to cut arts and entertainment programs in order to find necessary funding to keep the school afloat.

The choice is made without trying to argue whether this is the best decision for schools.

“I think that in order to have any type of broadband education the arts are extremely important,” Ziebka said. “Whether it is art, music or dance, I think these are all aspects of life that have different cultures, and it would be a shame if they go away just because they have meant so much to me, my family and my generation. It is extremely important, and I just hope that there are ways that with the administrations we can save those programs because I feel once we lose them it will be difficult to get them back.”

In Ziebka’s line of work he has the chance to meet plenty of musicians, both famous and local, but with working with these people he has grown a new appreciation for music as a whole.

“We are what we call a regional touring company,” Ziebka said. “We work in this area predominately, but just the amount of talent that is out there is incredible. I’ve never been a big country fan at all, but working with people like Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley, Trace Adkins and the Zac Brown Band have kind of changed what I used to consider contemporary country. They are writing out of the heart and soul and about their own experiences.”

Of course the glamour of the job sounds great, but it isn’t all fun and games.

Ziebka remains humble while expressing the hectic schedule he has had to manage through the years.

“We used to refer to the store as Z’s Music and Chauffeur Services,” Ziebka said. “I was raising two boys that were involved in sports and other extracurricular activities while setting up and taking down shows and trying to run the retail end of the business. Now my kids are grown and moved away, and I still can’t find free time. I hit the Rec Center about five days a week, and that hour for me before I come in is my time. There is a lot of hard work involved in self-employment, but I have no regrets. No regrets.”

Brad York can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Providing Charleston with music since 1973 and no plan to stop

Mike Ziebka sits in his musical instruments shop, Z’s Music and Sound System Services on Tuesday afternoon. (Brad York/On the Verge)