Let’s give them something to not talk about, in movies

Lets give them something to not talk about, in movies

The daily operations of Coles County government were clarified when local officials explained the details of their positions at a public forum hosted Thursday.

Mike Weber of the Coles County Board expressed his desire to host more forums in the future.

“I wish we had more of these across the county,” Weber said. “A common thread that everyone here shares is public service. We don’t do it for the money, we believe in giving back to the community.”

The open forum drew seven incumbent public office holders to the event that was organized by Michelle Martin, a former student senate member. Martin said the purpose of the event was to conduct a non-partisan event aimed at familiarizing the university community with some of the candidates running in the upcoming election.

Charleston’s State Representative Chapin Rose initiated the introductions by appealing to community members as an advocate of the 105,000 approximate constituents of Coles County.

“This is my hometown, where I grew up,” Rose said. “We’re here to hack through the red tape when you have a problem or concern, and we explain to the various state bureaucracies why what you’re saying makes sense.”

Chapin credited Eastern students for their role in demanding prompt release of the absent Monetary Award Program grant funds for the spring 2009 semester, as well as for the work completed toward approving the construction of a renewable energy resource plant on campus.

“That $72 million plant would’ve cost each student $2,400 extra in tuition fees, but with the help of your student government, I was able to deliver signed petitions to my constituents and 100 co-sponsors within two days of writing the legislation because of the information you provided,” Rose said.

He commended the university for the 350 new jobs that the plant will generate.

Accompanying Rose at the forum was four-year Coles County Sheriff Darrell Cox, up for re-election in November.

Aside from tending to all civil processes including issuing subpoenas and warrants, Cox manages a $13 million budget along with running the local jail.

Cox said his office offers internships to students, as well as a program that enables citizens to ride along with officers during an eight-hour shift.

Those interested must first submit to a criminal background check.

Other elected officials present at the forum included Sue Rennels, Coles County Clerk and Recorder; Michael Weaver of the Coles County Board; Coles County Treasurer George Edwards; and Brian Bower, a candidate for the fifth judicial circuit court.

A discussion pertaining to the proposed 1 percent sales tax increase to benefit the school districts of Charleston, Mattoon and Oakland was led by Nik Groothuis, regional superintendent of schools.

The sales tax is to be voted on during the Feb. 2 election.

Rennels, whose office handles both records and elections, said she manages approximately 30,000 to 35,000 registered voters in the area.

Rennels urged audience members to vote and said that early voting is now extended until Monday.

In the effort to pitch the proposed sales tax increase, Rose, who co-sponsored the relating legislation, said that it would allow school districts to diversify their revenue streams.

He also encouraged Eastern students in the audience to seek internships in his office, some of which include course credit.

“I was a big beneficiary of internships in college, and I view them as a duty of my committee to provide to the community,” Rose said.

Erica Whelan can be reached at

581-7942 or

[email protected]

For me, going to the movies is one of the most joyful occasions. I love it when the sound system is too loud and the screen is so large the viewer literally needs to move his head to view the entire screen.