Walters ‘living the dream’ in NFL

With his first season in the National Football League in the books, Eastern alumnus and current Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Pierre Walters said life as a professional is everything he expected and more.

“From the level of play to seeing all the athletes you watched growing up and idolized, playing with and against them was great,” Walters said from his home in Forest Park.

“I had a lot of fun. I’m glad to get the first year under my belt.”

Walters was on the Chiefs’ 53-man roster the entire season, but because NFL teams only dress 45 players on game day, he saw himself active for only three games.

But despite taking his share of lumps during his rookie season, Walters said he continued working hard throughout and it paid off Nov. 22 when he recorded his first career tackle – ironically against someone he has played against before – Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall, an alumnus of the University of Illinois.

“It was kind of funny since I played against him when he was at Illinois,” Walters said.

Walters said he remembers the play clearly: He was lined up on the left and the play was a run to defense’s right. He had backside pursuit and was “pretty amped up.” Mendenhall made a cut through the offensive line, Walters met him and took him down.

“I don’t think I’ll ever forget that play,” he said.”

Walters – who grew up a Chicago Bears fan – got to see a fair share of former Bears as teammates, including safety Mike Brown, wide receivers Mark Bradley and Bobby Engram, and defensive tackle Alfonso Boone. He said it took him a while to overcome the thought that he was playing with some of his idols and act professional.

“Having those guys around, especially Mike Brown who I watched throughout high school and college, was crazy,” he said. “I grew up a hardcore Bears fan and here’s Brown sitting on the bus and I’m on the same team as him. I was like, ‘What’s going on?’

“It’s a huge honor being in their presence and playing with them. It took some getting used to it, but after a while I had to tell myself I’m a pro now. Get the stars out of your eyes and start making a name for yourself.”

While the Chiefs struggled to a 4-12 record with a young team and new coaching staff, the team went 2-1 in his three games of action, including a 27-24 overtime victory over the Steelers where Walters recorded his first tackle.

“My father would always say ‘When you’re in, the Chiefs win half the time.’ He would always joke about that,” Walters said. “Certainly, from what I heard from my coaches, I rose to the challenge (in those games). I was so ready to get my feet wet and break the ice on the field for my first NFL playing time. It was a great experience.”

Walters drove home from Kansas City Sunday and said he is spending his time relaxing and taking a break from the game. He said during his exit meetings the coaches told the team to take time off and not to work out or think about the game.

He said he plans to visit Charleston sometime in the near future before beginning his routine to get ready for next season, which will include personal workouts at home before returning to Kansas City for organized team activities and mini-camps in the spring. Walters is signed with Kansas City through 2011, but he said he knows with NFL contracts anything can happen and he’s not taking anything for granted.

“I’ve got to be ready and stay in shape,” he said. “But I have to say, this break is pretty sweet.”

While taking time off, he said he is watching and enjoying the NFL Playoffs, which include three other Eastern alumni. Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton and Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress are all former Panthers.

Walters said because they’re Eastern alumni, he’d like to see any of the three succeed, and he sees the fact that the three are fighting for a championship and he’s watching from home is just motivation to get better.

“I guess it’s my punishment for being a rookie this year,” he said. “I’ve got to earn some more stripes, take my lumps and keep going out and hopefully, one day, I’ll be among those ranks.”

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Walters ‘living the dream’ in NFL

Walters living the dream in NFL

Former Eastern defensive end Pierre Walters completed his first season with the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs. He played in three games with one tackle.(Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News File Photo)