Rubber Lovers gets sexy: information about safe sex guides students

For students looking for safe sex information, as well as a program that allows students to interactively learn about sex, look no further than the Rubber Lover’s program.

Rubber Lover’s is a skill based educational program designed to teach students about the importance of safe sex in cases of sexually transmitted infections, as well as teaching students the proper methods of using a condom.

Eric Davidson, associate director of Health Service, said the program began about 10 years ago when he and a colleague from another university began thinking about a program for condom use.

“After reviewing literature regarding other evidence-based programs, I came across a similar condom skills training program, that related well to our concept, and I blended the two programs,” Davidson said.

Davidson began the creation of the Rubber Lover’s program after discussing with Eastern’s medical staff the number of students who were coming in with sexually transmitted infections.

“Students were indicating that they had been using condoms and that the condoms had broken during sex,” Davidson said. “Research indicates that most condoms break as a result of user failure, not a defect within the condom.”

Davidson said the Rubber Lover’s program allows students to learn proper condom use.

The program also provides an opportunity for students to acquire free condoms.

“With the Rubber Lover’s program, individuals must first go to a program meeting, then participate in the learning activities and finally they sign up to be a member and come to Health Education Resource Center for their condoms,” Davidson said.

Sexual health intern Julie Huck said that during a student’s first Rubber Lover’s meeting, students have the opportunity to participate in an 18-step program to correctly use a condom, as well as a “beer goggle” activity.

“In addition to the 18-step program and the ‘beer goggle’ activity, we also keep the students involved by asking their opinions, as well as asking them questions throughout the process,” Huck said.

After completing the program, students may go to HERC once a month and receive their sexual health packet.

This packet includes condoms and safe sex information.

Health education coordinator for the Rubber Lover’s program, Ryan Messinger, said that within the health packet there are a variety of condom options, as well as flavored condoms, lubricants and female condoms.

Messinger said heading forward with the Rubber Lover’s program, he would like to see the program continue to provide students with up-to-date information about safe sex.

“Each year we try to completely refresh the program so individuals that have previously gone through the program will receive new information in a new format,” Messinger said.

Neil Schneider can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Rubber Lovers gets sexy: information about safe sex guides students

(Illustration by Karolina Strack and Krystal Moya/The Daily Eastern News)