Top Cat: Ricks’ speed gives opponents fits

As the old saying goes, speed kills. And that theory couldn’t be any more truthful than in the case of Eastern wide receiver Lorence Ricks.

Ricks’ speed was a major factor in the Eastern football team’s (ranked No. 24 at time) recent upset win against Jacksonville State (ranked No.12 at the time), with Ricks blocking a punt, forcing a fumble on punt coverage and returning a kickoff 87-yards for a touchdown.

Against Jacksonville State, Ricks totaled 165 all-purpose yards, with two kickoff returns for 124 yards, one punt return for 26 yards and one reception for 15 yards.

Ricks’ 87-yard kick off return was his first of the season in only five returning attempts. In addition to his touchdown, Ricks is averaging 38.8 yards per return, which currently ranks first on the Eastern football team’s kick off returns.

The sophomore said the upfront blocking he received on the play helped him find a lane for his kickoff return touchdown.

“A real nice hole was opened up by the blockers, and once I saw the hole, I just hit the hole and ran as fast as I could down the sideline,” Ricks said.

Eastern’s associate head coach and offensive coordinator Roy Wittke, said Ricks’ speed has made him a legitimate deep threat on every play.

“He is without question our best deep threat,” Wittke said. “He’s playing extremely fast right now. He’s the guy that we look to stretch the defense down the field and his special teams play has really begun to pick up. He’s playing with a real high level of confidence right now and he really took advantage of the opportunity that was given to him against Jacksonville State.”

Despite his contribution on special teams, Ricks is listed as a wide receiver for the Panthers, and on the season, he has 12 catches for 241 yards and two touchdowns. Ricks also has an average of 20.1 yards per reception, while also accounting for the longest pass of the season with a 52-yard reception on Sept. 19, against Southern Missouri. Ricks’ recent play on special teams has drawn the attention of Eastern special teams coach Matthew Smiley.

“At the beginning of the season, he was not one of our kickoff returners, but with the more opportunities we give him, the more he continues to impress,” Smiley said.

Smiley said one of the main factors that makes Ricks a dangerous kick returner is the fact that he is fearless running the ball north and south.

“He’s not afraid to take the ball north and south,” Smiley said. “He really doesn’t dance around back there, he hits the hole strong and uses his speed to pull away. Obviously, his speed is big factor as was evident on Saturday when he outran both the kicker and the safety down the sideline.”

Ricks, formerly of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., said he really isn’t concerned with where he plays on the football field, as long as he is contributing to helping the Panthers win.

“Wherever coach wants me to play, I have no problem playing there,” Ricks said. ” If I don’t know how to play a position, then I will do everything I can to learn about that position and execute everything they (Eastern Coaching Staff) put in front of me.”

Neil Schneider can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Top Cat: Ricks speed gives opponents fits

Sophomore wide receiver Lorence Ricks returns the kickoff during the game against Tennessee Tech on Oct. 17, at O’Brien Field. Ricks totaled 165 all-purpose yards against Jacksonville State on 124 kick return yards, 26 punt return yards and 15 receiving y