Homecoming 2009: Romo gracious, humble in honor

Mike Chron runs the elevator in O’Brien Field that takes people to the press box and president’s suite.

He’s a Charleston native, Eastern alum, retired communication studies faculty member and has been working in a part-time role with the Eastern athletic department for over a decade.

Of all the people I talked to about Tony Romo’s appearance Saturday, he summed up things best.

“If he’s not the best known person I’ve seen there, he’s certainly the richest,” Chron said.

The Hall of Fame and retired jersey ceremony involving Romo and four other former Panthers Saturday went by flawlessly from the standpoint of the athletic department.

Romo showed up, smiled, said a few kind words and made his way home.

He shook hands, signed autographs, gave interviews and did everything a big celebrity needs to do to stay in good standing with those who adore him.

And boy do they adore him.

While attendance numbers were slightly less than expected – miserable weather probably played a role in that – those who turned out focused all their attention on Romo.

From the time he stepped on the field in the first quarter through the retirement of his No. 17 jersey, his meeting with the press and the Hall of Fame ceremony at halftime, to his departure after halftime all eyes were on Romo with people screaming his name and taking a plethora of photos.

So what did Romo have to say about his first “official” trip back to Eastern since leaving for the NFL in 2002?

“It’s very special,” the two-time All-Pro said. “The time I had here was an unbelievable time in my life and helped shape me in a lot of ways.”

And the honor of being the first Eastern football player to have his number retired?

“It’s humbling,” the tabloid cover boy said. “It’s almost embarrassing that everyone wants to look at you and tell you that you did something good. That gives you a sense of satisfaction and pride.”

Of course, Romo wasn’t the only one honored Saturday. Don Neece, Sean Lyons, Henry Domercant and Ed Corley were inducted into the Eastern Athletic Hall of Fame along with Romo.

And, no disrespect to any of them – they’re accomplishments with Eastern have not gone unnoticed – but Saturday belonged to Romo.

Say what you want about his personal life, what he does or doesn’t do for your fantasy football team, what he wore during the ceremony, but the fact remains that Romo is the face of Eastern athletics, and arguably the face of the university.

His appearance, brief as it may be, was a reminder of just that.

But either way, he was here Saturday and to much fanfare.

He said he hoped he could come back soon, and with the amount of exposure he brings the university, let’s hope he does.

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or

[email protected].

Homecoming 2009: Romo gracious, humble in honor

Former Eastern quarterback and current Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo had his No. 17 retired between the first and second quarters of Saturday’s game between Eastern and Tennessee Tech. Romo is the first Eastern football player to have his number re