Rock rolls out of the Dungeon

The Dungeon, a bar and musical venue, will have its grand re-opening on Sept. 26 with Chicago-based band The Last Vegas serving as the musical guests. The show starts at 8 p.m. and after the music is over the band will autographs.

The show will also feature the local band The Porn Again Christians as the opening act. The band consists of Tommy Rue on guitar and vocals, Joe Sanner on bass and Jake Pope on drums. Pope is also the owner of The Dungeon.

The Dungeon is located at 330 Van Buren Ave. in Charleston and the building is attached directly to the side of Friends and Co.

Pope said one of the main reasons he decided to bring in The Last Vegas was the fact that Charleston doesn’t get to see many bigger-named bands coming through the area.

“I noticed that they (The Last Vegas) were playing a show in Champaign, so I decided to try and get a hold of them,” Pope said. “They are a really big band right now and we don’t get many of those in Charleston. They just got off a tour opening for Motley Crue and now they’re on tour with Buckcherry, playing arenas, so it’s a rare club appearance for them to be in town.”

Pope also played in a band called Swamp Ass with a couple of members of The Last Vegas.

The Last Vegas guitarist, Johnny Wator, said the experience of playing a big arena tour with Motley Crue is something they have always wanted to do.

“We’ve played arenas before, but we never got the opportunity to play an arena tour,” Wator said. “I feel that our kind of band really translates well to an arena level, so it was a really good way to spend two months.”

Other members of The Last Vegas include Chad Cherry as vocalist, Adam Arling on guitar, Nathan Arling on drums and Danny Smash on bass. The current lineup of TLV has been together since 2005.

In addition to touring with Motley Crue, The Last Vegas is currently signed to Motley Crue’s bassist Nikki Sixx’s label Eleven Seven music.

Chad Cherry said the opportunity to work with Sixx on its major label debut “Whatever Gets You Off” was just about one of the best things that could happen to the band.

“It was just about the best thing a fan of a band could ever have happen to them,” Cherry said. “He (Sixx) works very quick and brings so many creative ideas to the table. It was just amazing to watch it all come together.”

Cherry also added that The Last Vegas is looking forward to playing in Charleston and that the Eastern crowd should be prepared for an interesting evening.

“Come out for some live, dangerous, Chicago-styled rock n’ roll action.” Cherry said. ” Clothing optional.”

Neil Schneider can be reached at 581-7942

or [email protected]

Rock rolls out of the Dungeon

Rock rolls out of the Dungeon

Staff Blues Band performed Saturday night at the Friends & Co. Dungeon. The Dungeon recently opened as an addition to the bar located on Van Buren Avenue. Jake Pope, drummer of the Porn Again Christians and promoter for the Dungeon, will be performing thi