Jones could reset record

Although the Eastern rugby team is only three games into the season, the Panthers are looking at some high expectations from senior wing Crystal Jones.

Jones, who already holds the Eastern record for trys in a season, is on pace to demolish that record again.

Jones set the record in 2006, her first season on the team, with 30 trys.

This season she already has 12 through three games, which at this pace would give her 40 in 10 games.

“Her understanding of the game is really allowing her to score in so many different positions,” Eastern head coach Frank Graziano said. “She really is all over the field and scoring in a variety of different ways. We also create those opportunities for her, but she’s really putting her senior season together.”

Jones won Co-Offensive Player of the Year with Eastern all-time leading scorer Samantha Manto in 2006.

If she continues at this rate she could add another award to her profile. Jones continues to be successful by trying to use the entire field and making sure the defense cannot contain her in one spot.

That is how she racked up six trys against Iowa State.

“Just when you thought Iowa State had figured her out, (Jones) would move to a different spot and then they did not have her covered there,” Graziano said. “She’s really starting to enjoy rugby a lot because it is really starting to make sense to her.”

A new ending

For the first time in Eastern rugby history, the Panthers will end their season with a home game.

Instead of the Panthers traveling to Boone, N.C., to face Appalachian State in week 10 they will host Tennessee for senior night.

The two games were swapped because of a scheduling conflict.

So the Panthers will be in North Carolina Nov. 1, and will end the season at home Nov. 7, against Tennessee.

“We have never played a home game in November here, so we’re hoping the weather is OK,” Graziano said. “It is going to be kind of unique. We’re so used to playing on the road, and then you step off the bus and the season is over. We have some pretty special seniors here so let’s hope the weather is nice.”

The Panthers host Wisconsin-Milwaukee for the first time in program history Saturday at noon.

Bob Shaugnessy can be reached at 581-7944 or

[email protected].

Jones could reset record

Jones could reset record

Red-shirt sophomore scrum-half Narissa Ramirez looks for an open teammate as Grand Valley State players ascend and tackle her during the game Sept. 12 at Lakeside Field. The Panthers are 3-0 on the season and will face Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Lakeside Fiel