Rugby: Win streak on the line as season starts

When the Eastern rugby team takes the field Saturday at Ball State, it will be looking to keep its 16-game winning streak alive.

The Panthers, who finished last season 11-0, return many key starters from last year’s team and believe they have what it takes to run the table for the second consecutive year. Last season the Panthers defeated Ball State 112-3, and they say there is no reason why they can’t do it again this year.

Saturday’s game is at noon in Muncie, Ind.

“The first couple of games are always shaky,” Eastern senior wing Crystal Jones said. “We have new people in new positions and girls who have never played a game of rugby before, so it is up to the upperclassmen to really set the tone and as long as these girls keep their head up, I don’t see a reason why we’re not going to blow them out.”

Along with Jones, the other returning seniors will be senior center Ashley Jenkins and the tandem of senior No. 8 Stephanie Militello and senior flanker Chase Cain, a group that head coach Frank Graziano says is probably the best defensive unit in Panther rugby history.

In the past three seasons the seniors have compiled a record of 27-3, and they are looking to add more victories to that total.

“All four seniors are excited about creating their own legacy and ending their careers the way they started it or even better,” Graziano said.

The seniors on the team have placed themselves in the Eastern record books for numerous accomplishments, but that does not mean they are not prepared for another successful season.

“I would like to go undefeated with preferably 10 shutouts,” Jones said. “Personally, I would like to have an absolute blowout end of the season and career. I do not want to focus too much on stats, I just want to be at the right place at the right time all the time on the field.”

With many new players and a few upperclassmen moving to new positions, the Panthers main concern for Saturday’s game is just to gain some good game experience.

“We have practiced really well,” Graziano said. “I think we have had one of the best preseason camps we have ever had. The girls came in fit and strong, even the freshmen. I think the only thing we lack now is game experience.”

With only four freshmen on the roster, Graziano is hoping to get the new players some playing time in their first college rugby game.

The four freshmen on the team are center Kayla Heal, winger Lauren Doyle, prop Kelsi Wright and lock Stefanie Mahan. Other newcomers are sophomore flyback and fullback Mandie Hurd and Tina Crema.

Bob Shaughnessy can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Rugby: Win streak on the line as season starts

Freshman flyhalf/fullback Tina Crema tackles Amanda Fromm at practice Tuesday at Lakeside Rugby Field. (Karolina Strack/The Daily Eastern News)