Review: ‘Andy’ Brings The Fun

The Paper Café’s soft lighting and tan walls set the mood as I patiently waited on a 1970s floral-patterned loveseat for the band Andy Van Slyke. The walls were filled with authentic hippie paintings of peaceful purples and blues. Calming, yet appropriate, the building sets the tone as the band casually arrives one by one.

Andy Van Slyke consists of bassist Matt Schumake, a senior English major, vocalist Ryan Lane, 23, of Charleston, Tyler Bixby, 26, of Charleston, Luke DeYoung, 21, of Charleston, drummer Bryant Fritz, a senior biology education major, and vocalist Kat Slawson, a sophomore music performance major.

The band will perform at 10 p.m. Friday at the Woodchuck Festival. With vocals similar to Hot Hot Heat and musical stylings similar to the Strokes or Rilo Kiley Andy Van Slyke is unlike any other band in Charleston.

“We don’t want to knock any of the other bands in Charleston,” Schumake said. “They are trying to do exactly what we are doing. Most of them are our friends. A lot of bands sound great and we really just adore, but we don’t want to sound like them. We want to be different and just make good, pleasing music to the ears. A lot of bands will say they are trying to make music that no one has ever heard before. I mean you can try, but you will always draw from your influences.”

From the soothing soulful and melodic voice of Slawson to the raw vocals of Lane this band carries a wide array of emotions with them to the stage.

The wood-paneled floors began to quake and the plastered walls started to shake as the band ripped through a set of foot tapping dance driven guitars, and chaotic yet rhythmic beats to relaxing choruses and Sinatra covers intermingled. Andy Van Slyke seems carefree to the fact that this was only practice and played each song with the intensity and heart as though it were their last performance ever.

With a smile a mile wide I watched Lane stumble and stagger while belting angst driven vocals until finally spinning and tripping over an amplifier at the conclusion of the set, which eventually ended with a broken microphone. Fun is the only word running through my mind the entire night.

“With most of the music going on now, it’s one thing or the other,” Lane said. “It’s either droning s— or aggressive. A lot of stuff isn’t that hip. We just like to play fun music.”

Brad York can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected]

Review: ‘Andy’ Brings The Fun

Review: Andy Brings The Fun

Tyler Bixby, guitar, and Bryant Fritz, drums, of the band Andy Van Slyke, play their instruments in their practice session Monday night at the Paper Café in Charleston. (Cody Rich/On The Verge)