Baseball: Eastern ballplayers continue to see success

With the summer league season in full swing, members of the Eastern baseball team are proving just how good the Panthers were by putting up big numbers with their minor league and collegiate league teams.

Three former Panthers, pitcher Tyler Kehrer, infielder Jordan Kreke, and outfielder Brett Nommensen, began their professional careers in the minors a few weeks ago after being selected by major league teams in the MLB first-year player draft.

Kehrer is a starting pitcher with the Orem Owls (L.A. Angels of Anaheim affiliate) of the Pioneer League. After suffering the first loss of his professional career on June 29, Kehrer bounced back with an impressive outing in his July 4th start at Idaho Falls. In three and 1/3 innings of work, he gave up only one run while striking out eight of the 15 batters he faced. Idaho Falls went on to win the game 8-5 after an eighth inning rally, giving Kehrer a no-decision.

In his first three starts, Kehrer is 0-1 with a 2.53 ERA. Over 10 2/3 innings, he has struck out 17 and issued only one walk.

Kreke has hit safely in nine of his last ten games and raised his batting average to .351 while playing for the Danville Braves (Atlanta braves affiliate). He went 3-for-4 with two runs on Sunday against the Pulaski Blue Jays, and finished the weekend 5-for-10 at the plate.

Kreke, who was a shortstop with the Panthers, has started 12 games at third base for the Braves, who are 7-6 and in second place in the Appalachian League East. He is batting .311 with 14 hits, six runs and two RBIs.

Nommensen has raised his batting average to .265 after going 6-for-14 in his last four games with the Hudson Valley Renegades (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate). So far this season, Nommensen has hit one double, one home run, drawn three walks and stolen three bases.

In collegiate summer league play, pitcher Josh Mueller picked up his first win with the Wareham Gateman. He struck out eight of the 20 batters he faced, and gave up only one earned run over five innings. javascript:runAll();

Over 11 innings this summer, Mueller has recorded 14 strikeouts and given up only two earned runs.

Richie Derbak currently leads the Prospect League with a .062 ERA and .150 batting average against. He is 4-0 this summer with the Quincy Gems, giving up only two earned runs over 29 innings pitched. Derbak is also batting .256 with five extra-base hits and 10 RBIs.

Against Springfield on Sunday, Derbak picked up the win after striking out nine and going seven and 2/3 innings without allowing a run.

Jeff Jurinek can be reached at 581-7943 or at [email protected].

Baseball: Eastern ballplayers continue to see success

Pitcher Richie Derbak leads the Prospect League with a .062 ERA. He is 4-0 this summer with the Quincy Gems. (File Photo)