Female Athlete of the Year: Rachel Galligan

What would be the ultimate compliment to Rachel Galligan?

Sure, praise by one’s peers, coach, or even the student newspaper is nice. We’ve been there, heard that. But what form of praise could be more sincere than that of someone’s opponent?

The people who game planned day in and day out to stop her from being the most dominant player and the 2008-2009 Daily Eastern News Female Athlete of the Year on the court on a given night.

The people who spent late nights in the office thinking of ways to prevent her from getting her 20 points, 10 rebounds, but most often failing to do so.

To Galligan, that type of praise is truly unique.

“I always thought it was really special anytime people are saying good things about you,” she said. “Especially when it’s coming from people who are not necessarily on your side. People who are rivals and people who you play against. It’s so special to gain their respect.”

Mike Bradbury became the head coach at Morehead State before the start of Galligan’s senior year and noticed her presence immediately.

He said he saw her willingness to be coached as one of the most unique traits about her game.

“Her consistency made her very hard to coach against,” he said. “She very rarely had an off night.”

Galligan’s career numbers add up to the greatest scorer in Eastern women’s basketball history. Her senior year numbers broke the single-season scoring record as well as the career scoring record.

As it will stand in the record books, Galligan’s senior year totaled to:17.6 points per game (Eastern record 582 total points), 6.2 rebounds per game, 56.9 percent shooting from the field and 75.7 percent free throw shooting.

Her 41 blocks rank as the sixth most in a single season (Galligan also holds the first and third place honors in that category).

For her career, Galligan finished with 1,891 points, breaking Nancy Kassebaum’s Eastern record of 1,807 career points.

Her 794 career rebounds ranks fourth all-time, and she’s the career leading in free throws made, free throws attempted and blocked shots.

Carrie Daniels, the second-year Austin Peay coach, holds the honors of being the coach that ended Galligan’s Eastern career when her Lady Govs beat the Panthers in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament Championship in double overtime March 7.

Daniels was not always so fortunate against Galligan, however, as the OVC Tournament Championship game victory was the only time the Lady Govs have been victorious against the Panthers during Daniels’ tenure.

She said when talking about Galligan, the first word that comes to her mind is “presence.”

“She is such a tremendous talent, and one that the OVC will miss,” Daniels said. “She wanted the basketball and didn’t shy away from anyone or anything.”

Tara Tansil-Gentry has seen her teams compete with the Panthers since Galligan was a freshman.

The fifth-year Tennessee-Martin head coach said a really simple phrase comes to find when she thinks of Galligan’s career.

“I’m glad she’s gone,” she said.

Tansil-Gentry was one of the few coaches whose teams were successful at stopping Galligan this season.

Thanks, in part, to the play of all-conference 5-foot-10 forward Phyllisha Mitchell, Galligan managed only 10 points and eight rebounds in the teams’ first meeting Jan. 24, and 17 points and two rebounds in the second meeting Feb. 19.

The Panthers still won both of those games, and Tansil-Gentry said the goal against Galligan was always to just limit her touches and keep her off the block, something that even if successful, still didn’t always stop her.

“We would try to keep her three feet off the block,” Tansil-Gentry said. “But even if we were able to get her out there, she still shot the ball well from there.”

The accolades for Galligan are aplenty, but rarely does one here such high praise from opposing coaches. It’s a testament to the season Galligan had, the career she had over four years at Eastern and the respect she has garnered.

It is for those reasons that Galligan is the 2008-2009 Daily Eastern News Female Athlete of the Year.

Past Female Athlete of the Year Winners

2008: Rachel Galligan (Basketball, Track)

2007: Marlise Davidson (Rugby, Swimming, Track)

2006: Megan Sparks (Basketball)

2005: Erica Gerth (Volleyball)

2004: Beth Liesen (Soccer)

2003: Katie Taake (Rugby)

2002: Beth Liesen (Soccer)

2001: Jeanine Frederick (Soccer)

Others considered for Female Athlete of the Year

Samantha Manto, Senior (Rugby, Track)

Manto led the Panthers to a 10-0 record, their first undefeated season since 2002. She will leave the program as the record holder in points (665), trys (133) and runs of more than 20 yards (113).

She qualified for the 60-meter hurdles finals and helped the distance medley team finish second at conference for track.

Kandance Arnold, Junior (Track)

Arnold won the 20-pound weight throw at the Ohio Valley Conference meet. She also won the shot put at the OVC meet as the Panthers took their second indoor title in school history and third team title overall. Arnold’s weight throw attempt at the meet was also a school record.

Amber May, Sophomore (Softball)

May helped the Panthers get off to a 7-0 start and win the New Mexico State Tournament Classic Title. She earned OVC Pitcher of the Week honors that week. She has a 17-15 record, and she sports a 1.91 ERA. Her 179 strikeouts this season rank second all-time in a single season.

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Female Athlete of the Year: Rachel Galligan

Eastern senior forward Rachel Galligan is the 2008-2009 Daily Eastern News Female Athlete of the Year. Galligan finished her basketball career with 1,891 points, breaking Nancy Kassebaum’s Eastern record of 1,807 career points. (Eric Hiltner / The Daily E