Softball: Relaxing against top opponent

Eastern head coach Kim Schuette wants her softball team to do one simple thing before they play Tennessee Tech this weekend.

Relax.

Granted, Tennessee Tech has been a top team in the Ohio Valley Conference. Granted, Tennessee Tech has won 11 straight games against Eastern. And the battle is in the OVC and between second place Tennessee Tech and third place Eastern.

But none of that is affecting Schuette and the rest of the Panthers (22-14, 6-3 OVC).

They are focused on getting two of three wins or a possible sweep of the Golden Eagles (21-21, 9-4) in Cookeville, Tenn.

“Everybody in the conference will be looking at us to see what we do, but I think the focus on us should be to relax,” Schuette said. “I think in the past, it’s no secret that I get tense when we play Tech. Our team gets tense and we haven’t been very successful. I don’t think this team plays well when we’re tense.”

A doubleheader is scheduled for 1 p.m. Friday, and the final game is set for 1 p.m. Saturday.

This season, the Golden Eagles don’t have two dominating hitters like former seniors Beth Boden and Stephanie Fischer. Both played for the National Pro Fastpitch league and the national pro softball league in the United States, in the summer. The Golden Eagles’ dominant pitcher in the past – Bonnie Bynum – graduated in 2007, and is an assistant coach with Western Kentucky.

So, this could be the season for the Panthers to win. Last season, they did not play the Golden Eagles during the regular season because of snow. The Golden Eagles crushed the Panthers 13-0 in six innings in the first round of the OVC Tournament at the end of the last season.

“They’re always good. They have power hitters, good pitching. They don’t run that much,” Schuette said. “But we know what we need to do.”

Eastern is seeking its first victory against Tennessee Tech since a 4-1 win in 2004 at the end of Eastern’s season.

“In the beginning, I think a lot of people took us for granted,” said Eastern senior pitcher Kathleen Jacoby. “And I think people still take us for granted. As a team, we’re out to prove a point. And we’re going to try to prove that point this weekend.”

The Panthers started out the season 7-0, including winning the New Mexico State Tournament. They also took a victory against Southern Illinois Edwardsville (31-7) Saturday.

“That was a big confidence booster,” said Eastern junior right fielder Denee’ Menzione.

Menzione knew the Cougars were receiving national votes, but tried not to think about it.

“We just try go out there and play our game,” Menzione said.

Wins against the Golden Eagles would be even better.

“(It will) show us that we’re better,” Menzione said.

A sweep would help the Panthers move up in the league standings.

“We’re going to take them like any other team,” Jacoby said.

Kevin Murphy can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Softball: Relaxing against top opponent

Softball: Relaxing against top opponent

Eastern freshman infielder Ashley Anderton bats during the home game against Butler on April 2 at Williams Field. The Eastern softball team is playing Tennessee Tech in a three-game Ohio Valley Conference series Friday and Saturday in Cookeville, Tenn. Ea