Softball: Robison continues with sport

Ashley Robison’s parents never expected her to coach.

But Robison is now head coach at Neoga High School and a graduate student in political science who admits reading a scouting report is much easier than doing the reading for grad school.

“They didn’t anticipate me being a coach,” Robison said. “If you know me well, you know I’m not very patient. And, I’d like to think I’m understanding. I’ve had to adapt the way I think. I’m always used to doing sports.”

Robison, a 2008 alumnus and former Eastern softball player, is in her first season at Neoga (0-2). Robison will put her skills to use as coach and try to take the Indians to new levels.

“I hope to establish a better program,” Robison said. “The girls have comes leaps and bounds from the first day I met them.”

Robinson’s small stature, 5-foot-3 inches, might have people confused with one of her players. But her passion for the sport emerges as well.

“She’s an intense competitor,” said Eastern head softball coach Kim Schuette. “Ashley’s very determined. She’s got lots of spunk, lots of fire.”

Robison was concerned about the age gap at first.

“I was worried about them wanting to be my friend more than see me as a coach,” she said. “They’ve really opened up and taken my advice.”

The former Lake Land and Southeast Missouri player wanted to get into coaching after completing her two-year Eastern career.

Robison was assisting Lake Land College head coach Denny Throneburg this past fall and applied for the job.

She said the players made the adjustments when she told them, and those adjustments worked.

Robison has been mainly a pitcher, but also played shortstop at Eastern. She also played in 41 games for SEMO and was the Great Rivers Athletic Conference Tournament Most Value Player and earned All-GRAC selection in 2006.

In addition to being a head coach, Robison is attending grad school with classes two days a week.

She’s studying political science and has a concentration in American government and has a minor in public administration. She isn’t sure what she wants to do with the degree, but might be using grad school as a primer for law school.

Robison wants to build the Neoga program as well, but thinks back to her parents for supporting her and trying to help with softball and life.

She said her mother, Laura, who played at McKendree, is helping her out.

Robinson said her parents were excited when she told them she was going to be a head coach.

Kevin Murphy can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Softball: Robison continues with sport

Softball: Robison continues with sport

Shortstop Ashley Robison fields a groundball in a home game against Ball State in 2007 at Williams Field. Robison is the head coach at Neoga High School and she is a graduate student in political science. (File photo / The Daily Eastern News)