Tennis: Panthers lose both matches on the road

The Eastern men’s and women’s tennis teams lost to Butler on Friday afternoon in Indianapolis.

The men’s team lost 5-2 and the women’s team lost 6-1.

“We definitely did not compete the way we wanted to,” said freshman Drew Grimaldi. “We are at that point in our season where we need to step up the way we compete in order to finish the way we want to.”

Senior Vuk Milicevic and junior Jeff Rutherford picked up the lone wins for the men’s team, with Milicevic coming from behind in a three-set win at No. 3 singles. Milicevic improved his singles record to 8-3 overall. Rutherford picked up the other victory for Eastern (6-5) after holding on for a three-set victory as well.

In doubles action, fellow senior Jordan Nestrud teamed with Milicevic to earn the victory. Their 8-4 win improved their doubles record to 7-0 on the season.

The Eastern women’s team (3-7) has lost three straight matches in a row.

Freshman Shannon Brooks picked up the lone Panther singles win at No. 6 singles, winning in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2.

“We need to really step up our game if we want to finish the season where we would like,” sophomore Abby Allgire said. “We are not playing to our capabilities and, as a team, we need to change that around. Although we do show heart in our matches, we really need to play a complete match in order to finish at the top.”

Eastern was on the wrong end of three-set matches. The Panthers lost the No. 2 through No. 5 singles matches in three sets.

Both Eastern squads will return to action next Friday in both squads’ home opener against arch-rival Western Illinois. First serve is set for 1 p.m. at Darling Courts.

Wally Swenson can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Tennis: Panthers lose both matches on the road

Sophomore Cara Huck prepares to hit the ball during tennis practice on Feb. 26 in Lantz Fieldhouse. Both tennis squads lost to Butler. (Erin Matheny/The Daily Eastern News)