Tennis star turns comedian

A world-ranked tennis player and a comedian, Michael Kosta seems to be a jack-of-all-trades.

Kosta will be performing at 9 p.m. today in the 7th Street Underground.

After playing tennis at the University of Illinois for four years and coaching at the University of Michigan for two, Kosta went on to the professional tennis tour and played for three years.

While playing on the professional circuit, Kosta was ranked one of the top 300 players in the world.

“So, I’m pretty much a big deal,” Kosta said.

Different opportunities to perform comedy routines came and went while doing speeches during his time at U of I.

After he decided to leave the University of Michigan and pursue comedy full time, he began performing in bars, comedy clubs and venues that had open mic nights for comedians.

“I just kind of started on my own career doing stand up in bars where everyone was drunk and no one wanted to listen anyways,” Kosta said.

Three years ago, Kosta made his first television appearance on Comedy Central’s “Live at Gotham,” hosted by Jeffery Ross.

While the television spot gave him some credibility, Kosta does not believe he became some sort of instant celebrity.

“I’m certainly not famous,” he said.

“Live at Gotham” did give Kosta the opportunity to carry on full time with his comedy career.

Now our very own alma mater is featured as part of the 40 colleges he visits each year.

Matt Caponera, the University Board comedy coordinator, and graduate adviser Mary Hamm found Kosta while attending the National Associate for Campus Activities in St. Charles, Ill.

Magicians, musicians and comedians perform a portion of their skit at NACA to showcase their acts.

“I’m most excited for this,” Caponera said. “I thought he was awesome when I saw his show.”

Attendees of Friday’s show can expect to be entertained by a “Mr. Perfect” type who, through all his arrogance, can’t seem to see the joke is really on him.

If you enjoy sarcasm, Kosta’s show should prove to be entertaining, and audience participation is highly recommended by Kosta himself.

“I want it to feel like a party, and we’re all there. I’m just the only one with a mic,” Kosta said.

Kosta is also featured on the Bob and Tom Radio Show.

Tennis star turns comedian

Tennis star turns comedian

Michael Kosta was a professional tennis player before turning his attention to comedy. Kosta will be performing his comedy routine at 9 p.m. today in the 7th Street Underground.