Baseball: Pitching comes through

The Eastern baseball team’s pitchers came through on Wednesday afternoon.

Five different Panthers pitchers combined to give up only one run and three hits as Eastern downed Southern Illinois Carbondale 5-1 Wednesday.

The Panthers (4-2) notched 15 hits in the contest, with senior shortstop Jordan Kreke knocking in two runs.

The game was scoreless until the top of the fourth inning when Kreke scored on a two-out single from junior designated hitter Richie Derbak.

The Salukis (3-7) responded with a run of their own in the bottom of the fourth on a ground out from junior infielder Wade Dutton. Eastern took the lead for good in the top of the fifth with a two out, bases loaded single to third base from junior first baseman Alex Gee that put the Panthers up 2-1. Eastern added one run in the seventh and two in the eighth to secure the victory.

“I thought we were aggressive today at the plate,” Eastern head coach Jim Schmitz said. “We got 15 hits, and I was pleased with how we were swinging the bat even though we left a lot of runners on. Either way, we were able to hit the ball hard.”

Junior pitcher Mike Recchia started the game with three scoreless innings, allowing only one hit and one walk with a strikeout.

Red-shirt freshman pitcher Mike Martin (1-0) relieved Recchia, allowing one hit and the Salukis’ only run in two innings of work.

The win was Miller’s first of his college career in his first appearance of the season.

A combined effort between junior pitcher Josh Wilson, Kreke, and Derbak combined for four innings pitched allowing no runs and one hit.

Schmitz said the group did an amazing job, especially against a team like the Salukis.

He said he wasn’t sure what they would get out of Wilson because he had some arm troubles last season, but that he did a great job.

Senior third baseman Zach Skidmore scored two runs while going 4-for-5 from the plate with four singles.

Derbak was also solid at the plate with three hits in five at bats with one RBI.

In addition to succeeding at the plate and on the mound, Schmitz said the team played excellent on defense as well.

He said both junior Chris Ulrey and Wilson made terrific plays in left field, while Skidmore made a play at third base that got them out of a jam.

Ulrey and Wilson got some of their most extensive playing time of the season in the game and Schmitz said they both did a good job in the role.

“We think that we have 14 guys on our team that can play well and contribute,” Schmitz said. “We are trying to make sure we keep everyone involved.”

Saluki senior pitcher David Kington (0-2) allowed two runs on nine hits in five innings of work.

Eastern’s next game will be 10 a.m. Saturday when they take on Wisconsin-Milwaukee in Louisville, Ky.

Dan Cusack can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Baseball: Pitching comes through

Baseball: Pitching comes through

Eastern senior infielder Zach Skidmore practices on Feb. 18 in Lantz Fieldhouse. The Eastern baseball team defeated Southern Illinois Carbondale 5-1 on Wednesday at Abe Martin Field in Carbondale. Skidmore went 4-for-5 with two runs. Skidmore posted his