Women’s Basketball: Panthers keep on pace

The Eastern women’s basketball team never looked back in the first half after struggling against Austin Peay.

The Panthers opened up a big lead late in the first half in route to a 69-56 victory against the Lady Govs Thursday night in Clarksville, Tenn.

Senior forward Rachel Galligan led all scorers with 22 points on 10-of-13 shooting from the field to lead the Panthers, which needs a victory against Tennessee State on Saturday to secure the No. 2 seed in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament.

The Panthers (21-8, 14-3 OVC) overcame a slow start in the first half to jump out to a 16-point halftime lead before cruising in the second half.

They led by as many as 26 points in the second half against the Lady Govs (13-15, 9-8).

“We worked quite a bit on defense, and it showed tonight,” said Eastern head coach Brady Sallee. “We absorbed their initial blow. They jumped on us there at the beginning, but once we figured it out we started defending them, making it hard for them to score. Any time you hold a team to 32 percent shooting in their own gym, you’re going to have a very good chance to win.”

Sallee said before the game, the Panthers were focusing on rebounding more than usual this week after being out-rebounded in three straight games. Eastern won the rebound battle against the Lady Govs 37-33, but allowed 19 offensive rebounds.

“I thought we gave up too many offensive boards, but all in all it was a good first step,” Sallee said. “They’re extremely athletic and aggressive but we battled our way to being able to out-rebound them.”

Senior guard Ellen Canale added 12 points and five rebounds for the Panthers, which saw 10 players in the scoring column during the game. Galligan’s 22 points moved her within 17 of becoming Eastern’s all-time leading scorer.

Junior guard Ashley Thomas, who was cleared to play after missing six games with a back injury, did not play.

The win, coupled with a win by Murray State against Morehead, kept the Panthers one one-game behind the Racers in the OVC standings.

The Racers did clinch a No. 1 seed in the OVC Tournament, but the Panthers can gain a share of the title. They need a win Saturday against Tennessee State (17-11, 13-4) and a loss by the Racers against Eastern Kentucky.

Murray State 65, Morehead State 61

The Racers overcame an 11-point halftime deficit to earn at least a share of the OVC title with a victory against the Eagles Thursday night in Murray, Ky.

Murray State (20-7, 15-2) remained the only OVC team that is undefeated at home on the season and also clinched the No. 1 seed in the OVC Tournament with the win.

The Racers’ sisters-duo of senior guard Paige and Amber Guffey led the way with 21 and 20 points, respectively. They both hauled in seven rebounds while Amber led the Racers with seven assists.

Morehead State center Brittany Pittman led the Eagles with 19 points and 12 rebounds, while sophomore guard Chynna Bozeman chipped in with 18 points, 12 rebounds, and six assists.

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Womens Basketball: Panthers keep on pace

Eastern senior guard Ellen Canale looks for an open teammate during the Senior Night game on Saturday in Lantz Arena. Canale had 12 points in Eastern’s 69-56 win at Austin Peay on Thursday night. The Panthers will close the regular season at Tennessee Sta