Women’s Basketball: A whole new approach to upcoming games

The last time the Eastern women’s basketball team faced Austin Peay and Tennessee State, both teams looked different.

That’s why Eastern head coach Brady Sallee is not taking any stock in those contests when preparing his team for its final two regular season games of the season.

The Panthers will take on Austin Peay at 5:15 p.m. today in Clarksville, Tenn., before heading to Nashville, Tenn., at 3 p.m. Saturday for their regular season finale against Tennessee State.

“It’s a different deal because we played them so long ago,” Sallee said. “(Austin Peay) looks a little different than the first time. They’re a physical team, they play extremely hard, and they’re putting points on the board.”

The Panthers took on Austin Peay and Tennessee State at the beginning of December in their first two Ohio Valley Conference games of the season. They defeated the Lady Tigers 83-45 on Dec. 4 before beating Austin Peay 81-70 on Dec. 6.

The Lady Governors (13-14, 9-7 OVC) feature red-shirt sophomore guard Brooke Faulkner, a transfer from Western Kentucky who did not join the squad until after the first meeting with Eastern. She has averaged 6.8 points per game in her time with Austin Peay.

Likewise, Tennessee State (16-11, 12-4 OVC) features 6-foot sophomore forward Jasmine Smith, who joined the team on Dec. 19 after transferring from Louisville.

Smith has been a force for the Lady Tigers in the post, averaging 11.1 points per game and 10.1 rebounds per game in 16 games since joining the team.

She has been named OVC Newcomer of the Week five times this season.

“With her, it’s rebounding,” Sallee said of Smith. “She can really impact the game there. The other thing it does is give them another legitimate scorer on the floor with (senior forward Tiffany Jackson) and (senior guard Kendra Appling).”

Sallee said after last Saturday’s 84-69 overtime loss to Murray State, the Panthers hit the practice floor this week, focusing on rebounding more than anything.

The Panthers have been out-rebounded in their last three games.

“The reason (for being out-rebounded) was different in each of the three games, but the result has been the same,” he said. “It’s going to be extremely important for us, especially with the teams we’re playing.”

The Lady Tigers sit only one game behind the Panthers for second place in the OVC.

They will take on Southeast Missouri at 5:30 p.m. today at home before hosting the Panthers on Saturday for the team’s Senior Day.

Thomas rejoins team

The Eastern women’s basketball team got a surprise this week when junior guard Ashley Thomas rejoined the team for practice.

Thomas, who had been out with a back injury since Feb. 4, was initially ruled out for the season, but head coach Brady Sallee said she was ahead of schedule and she will be in his rotation for the team’s weekend games.

“There’s a possibility she could play this weekend, but we’re really just looking ahead to the (Ohio Valley Conference Tournament) to have her back in there,” Sallee said. “We’ll try and get her feet wet this weekend depending on how she feels.”

Thomas has been the Panthers’ first guard off the bench throughout the season, averaging 5.6 points per game while handling opposing teams’ primary offensive weapons much of the time.

She said she got word of a brace being used by Purdue’s Robbie Hummel, who has a similar back injury, and after team trainer Katie McCormack did some research about it, she got the OK from her doctor to try it out and get back on the floor.

“The back feels really good,” Thomas said. “It’s not by any means completely healed, but it’s to a point where I can play. So far, there hasn’t been much pain at all. I’m pretty excited.”

Thomas had missed the past six games because of the injury.

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Womens Basketball: A whole new approach to upcoming games

Eastern senior forward Rachel Galligan puts up a shot against Murray State on Saturday in Lantz Arena. Galligan and the Eastern women’s basketball team will play its final two regular season games on the road. (Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News)