Let’s talk about sex

Click here to view a larger version of the front page of The Verge.

It is the 800-pound gorilla in the room-the cause for countless songs and films and those oh-so-awkward conversations with parents.

It is a source of unimaginable anticipation paired with unbridled fear.

‘It’ is sex.

And ‘it’ is an area in which the Health and Education Resource Center focuses much of its educational efforts.

Efforts Eric Davidson and Catherine Spannagel say they hope don’t go unnoticed by students.

That may be because sex is almost inevitable among many college students. It’s going to happen-some students are going to engage in sex.

Davidson, associate director for the HERC, and Spannagel, sexual health education coordinator for the HERC, said they are aware of this.

The philosophy of the HERC’s sexual education practice, Davidson said, is “abstinence plus.”

“I don’t know anyone who is against abstinence,” Davidson said. “However, if students are going to engage in sex, it is important they have the facts necessary to engage in it safely.”

Along with coordinating several presentations that deal with sexual health, Spannagel also delivers most of these presentations herself. She said she wants students to understand that safer sex can be fun.

“We’re not going to tell (students) not to have sex,” Spannagel said. “We are going to give them the tools and information to do it safely.”

Take, for example, her presentation titled “Be A Rubber Lover.”

The presentation focuses on the importance of condom use and the correct way to use them.

The fact is, Spannagel said, while many people use condoms during sex-and “should wear (a condom) every time”-many don’t know how to use them or put them on correctly. For instance, if the reservoir tip is not placed on correctly it can be a leading factor in condom breakage.

But Spannagel is quick to say she is not here to scare anyone.

“(In my presentations) I try to create a warm atmosphere; they are a lot of fun, very interactive,” she said. “I want people to know that sexual health doesn’t have to be a drag.”

She said the goal of HERC is to increase condom usage, ensure correct condom usage and increase testing for sexually transmitted infections with the ultimate goal to reduce STIs and unwanted pregnancies.

Many people can, in fact, have an STI without ever showing symptoms, Spannagel said.

“(For instance) men can carry HPV-the Human Papillomavirus-and show no symptoms then pass it to women,” she said. “The most common symptom is no symptom.”

And according to a Web site dedicated to information and tips on how to engage in healthy sex and healthy relationships, one in five people in the United States currently have an STI.

“As for testing, it may hurt a little, but it is well worth it,” Spannagel said.

Both Davidson and Spannagel said the important thing they want students to know is that there is a place they can go for information, tools and help-the HERC.

“There is a wide variety of (places to get) information for students,” Davidson said. “They often go to their friends, who may have accurate information. They may go to faculty. The important question is ‘Is this person credible? Are they giving the right information?'”

But in terms of credibility, he said, the best sources are health educators, such as Spannagel, and, of course, parents.

The next scheduled presentation of “Be A Rubber Lover” will be on March 5.

More information on this or any other sexual health presentation can be found on the HERC’s Web site.

Let’s talk about sex

Lets talk about sex

Front cover of The Verge