Softball: Toughness will decide Panthers’ season

Eastern head softball coach Kim Schuette put it simply about the Eastern softball team.

“They’re not afraid,” Schuette said. “This is the first time in four years I’ve had kids who aren’t afraid. I like that. They’re tough.”

An Eastern team, bolstered by experienced upperclassmen and seven newcomers, are not afraid of the challenges of the non-conference season and eventually the Ohio Valley Conference season. Eastern’s season begins with a showing at the Troy Cox Classic at New Mexico State in Las Cruces, N.M.

A lot of the toughness comes from the two seniors, Sarah Coppert and Kathleen Jacoby and red-shirt junior Angela Danca.

“Coppert, Jacoby and Danca know what I want,” Schuette said. “This is why I brought them here. This is what I want. The traditions have begun and people know what to expect from the first day of practice.”

Add in the fact that Coppert was a Second Team All-OVC honoree last season, Jacoby earned Second Team All-OVC honors her freshman season and Danca earned tourney honors at the Tennessee Chattanooga Tournament last season.

Jacoby said that the three have been facilitating leadership and emphasizing the team aspect.

“We’re not a group of individuals,” Jacob said. “We’re a team – that’s basically what we’re trying (to be).”

Schuette said since these players know the expectations, everything else is falling into place.

“We’ve all banded together and know what it takes to get there,” Eastern junior shortstop Megan Nelson said.

That was evident last season when the Panthers pushed themselves toward a fourth-place finish in the OVC and an appearance in the OVC Tournament.

The Panthers are confident heading into the season with the upperclassmen, including Nelson, who led the league with 30 steals and led the team in batting average (.335).

Eastern junior outfielder Denee’ Menzione led the team with seven home runs last season and is third in program history with 11 home runs.

Nelson earned OVC Tournament honors last season, and Menzione earned Second Team All-OVC honors.

The Panthers will also be adding seven newcomers, which includes sophomore pitcher Amber May, who was a Junior College All-American at Heartland College last season.

“I’m certain I’ve never seen a pitcher with so much determination and drive to win a game,” Nelson said.

Schuette has been challenging her players with tough practices and a tough schedule.

The Panthers will play the following teams this weekend: New Mexico State (6-0) is undefeated and receiving votes in the Top 25/USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association Poll, Texas-El Paso (2-3) defeated No. 2 Arizona State, Central Michigan, who was picked to win the Mid-American West Division and Saint Mary’s (Calif.).

“If people hang with us, it’s going to be a good year for softball,” Schuette said. “I like scheduling tough. They have high expectations. They don’t want to finish in the middle. They’re tough. We’ve been a little bit hard on them so as to prepare them for (tough) competition.”

But Nelson thinks the team can surprise some people.

“We’ve got our speed back,” Nelson said. “We’re pretty much stacked through our lineup with some speed and some power hitting. Everybody brings a little something to the table that kind of works for the overall team.”

This also includes freshman catcher Hailee Hanna, who is the team’s third catcher in four years. Freshman Amanda Bilina and Ashley Anderton will compete for the designated player position.

“Those new young players have taken our players to a new level,” Schuette said. “They work hard and do the right things, which is contagious across the team.”

Breakout – Possible Starting Lineup

1. M. Nelson – SS

2. A. Danca – CF

3. S. Coppert – 2B

4. D. Menzione – L/RF

5. K. Holtz – 3B

6. M. Jackson 1B

7. H. Hanna – C

8. A. Bilina – DP

9. M. Sorrentino – L/RF

Pitching – A. May

Other Note: Sophomore third baseman Kiley Holtz and sophomore first baseman Melinda Jackson will anchor the team as returning players.

Jackson started in 44 of the team’ 46 games last season and batted .255 overall and .293 in conference play. She also started 42 times at second base.

Holtz played in 45 games and started 44 times, primarily at third base. She led the team with six doubles.

Weekend Schedule:

New Mexico State Troy Cox Classic in Las Cruces, N.M.

Friday

Saint Mary’s (Calif.) vs. Eastern, 10 a.m.

New Mexico State vs. Eastern, 5:30 p.m.

Saturday

Texas-El Paso vs. Eastern, 10 a.m.

New Mexico State vs. Eastern, 3 p.m.

Sunday

Central Michigan vs. Eastern, 10 a.m.

Kevin Murphy can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Softball: Toughness will decide Panthers season

Eastern junior center fielder Angela Danca makes a catch during practice Wednesday afternoon in Lantz Fieldhouse. The Eastern softball team begins its season at the New Mexico State Invitational this weekend. (Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News)