Men’s Basketball: Panthers play top team in league

The Eastern men’s basketball team will not be playing many more games at Lantz Arena.

The Panthers will play five of their final six games away from Charleston as they begin a two-game road trip at 6:30 p.m. today when they take on Morehead State in Morehead, Ky.

This season the Panthers are 2-3 on the road in Ohio Valley Conference games, but OVC teams on the road have struggled all season.

So far only two OVC teams, Austin Peay (6-2) and UT Martin (5-2), have winning records away from their home arenas. Morehead (3-3) and Murray State (4-4) have .500 records when away.

The Panthers (11-12, 8-5 OVC) are seeking their ninth conference win for the first time since the 2002-2003 season. Eastern has only had five seasons where it has won nine or more OVC league games in its 12 seasons in the league.

Eastern coach Mike Miller said it would be huge for the Panthers to go on the road and steal a couple of games. Right now, Eastern is in fourth place, a game and a half behind Austin Peay for third place and a game ahead of Murray State (12-10, 7-5).

The Panthers will have a tough task ahead of them, as Morehead State (14-11, 10-3) is 9-0 in conference play at home.

“We have to go out there and focus,” said Eastern junior guard Romain Martin. “We have to go there and have the same focus that we have (at home).”

Defensively, the Eagles play a press defense and rely on their shot blockers inside if the press is broken.

Eastern struggled to find perimeter shots Monday in a 59-53 loss to Murray State and Martin said the Panthers have emphasized their press offense in practice.

He said in addition to the pressure, the Eagles are good at disrupting passing lanes and causing turnovers.

Miller said the Eagles rely on their shot blockers for inside presence and their athleticism adds to the pressure they put on.

Offensively, Martin said Morehead likes to play an inside-outside game.

They have four players averaging more than 10 points a game led by senior forward Leon Buchanan’s 14.2 points per game.

Sophomore center Kenneth Faried is Morehead State’s force inside, scoring 13 ppg and averaging a league high 12.7 rebounds per game.

Miller said Morehead is one of the best rebounding teams in the league.

“Their front line has performed as well as anybody, and that is why they have been in first place for a pretty (long) stretch,” Miller said. “They are very versatile and athletic. They can play in a variety of different styles because of that.”

Morehead is averaging a league-high 39.1 rpg, while allowing a league low 31.6 rpg.

The Panthers beat the Eagles 67-61 on Jan. 17 at Lantz Arena. Eastern sophomore guard Tyler Laser scored 18 second-half points to lead the Panthers to a-come-from-behind victory.

Since the game against Eastern, the Eagles are 5-1 with their only loss coming on the road to Jacksonville State on Feb. 5.

Dan Cusack can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Mens Basketball: Panthers play top team in league

Eastern freshman guard Jeremy Granger attempts to drive against a Murray State player on Monday in Lantz Arena. The Panthers lost 59-53. The Panthers will travel to play Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky. (Karla Browning/The Daily Eastern News)