Panther Briefs: Swimming hosts Saint Louis at home

The Eastern men’s and women’s swimming teams will host Saint Louis at noon on Saturday at Ray Padovan Pool.

This will be both teams’ last dual meet of the season before their respective conference championships. It is also Senior Day for the Panthers.

The men’s team (4-5) and the women’s team (4-5) will be competing at the Summit League Championships Feb. 19-21. The SLU men’s team and the SLU women’s team will be competing at the Atlantic 10 Championships Feb. 18-21. Both Eastern squads lost to the Billikens earlier this season, 131-82 and 122-102. The Panthers also lost four times combined to the Billikens last season. But in the second meeting of the season last season, the score was much closer. The Panther men’s team lost by 68 points and only by 31 points last season. The Panther women’s team lost by 103 points and only by 80 points last season.

Men’s tennis plays Saint Louis

The Eastern men’s tennis team will play Saint Louis at noon today in Champaign. The Panthers (1-1) are coming off a 6-1 win against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. The Billikens (2-1) defeated Eastern last season 4-3. Saint Louis has only lost to No. 13 Tulsa this season.

Extreme sign Brown

The Bloomington Extreme, a member of the Indoor Football League, signed former Eastern football player B.J. Brown on Tuesday for the 2009 season. Brown played for the Sioux City Bandits.

“B.J. Brown is a great cover guy who played a major role with us helping us with a successful last year when her came in late,” Extreme head coach Kenton Carr said.

Men’s soccer signs recruits

Geneva senior Kendall Spurgin made an official commitment to play with the Eastern men’s soccer team according to the Daily Herald.

Bloomington senior Shailer Thomas will also be playing with the Eastern men’s soccer team next season.

Thomas made his commitment on Wednesday.

– Compiled by Sports Editor Kevin Murphy. He can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Panther Briefs: Swimming hosts Saint Louis at home

Eastern junior swimmer Laura Nilsen competes in the 200-yard medley relay during the swim meet against Valparaiso on Jan. 31 in the Ray Padovan Pool. Both Eastern swimming squads will host Saint Louis at noon on Saturday at Ray Padovan pool. This is Senio