Women’s Basketball: Early win builds momentum

Eastern women’s basketball head coach Brady Sallee grinned when asked about the momentum the team gained by winning its season opener, an 82-74 victory against Miami (Ohio) on Friday night at Lantz Arena.

“I guess we don’t have to worry about being 0-7,” said Sallee, referring to the winless streak the team began the season with last year. “You guys have to find something else to write about.”

Senior forward Rachel Galligan, who led the team with 17 points and 10 rebounds in the victory, said the win would help the Panthers build momentum.

“We expected to come out and play a really tough team and a tough non-conference schedule,” Galligan said. “To come out and beat a team like that really gives us a lot of fire. Not that we didn’t have it before, but it’s a good, solid starting point for us.”

Last season the Panthers dropped their first seven games while playing an equally tough non-conference schedule. They didn’t get their first victory until Dec. 1 against Loyola (Chicago).While the team rebounded to finish 19-13 overall, it was still clear the Panthers wanted to get an early win under their belt.

“246 days ago we walked off the floor against Murray State pretty down and dejected,” Sallee said referring to the team’s Ohio Valley Conference Championship Tournament loss to the Racers. “We’ve been waiting a long time to come out and do this and tip it up again and play well and beat a quality team like Miami of Ohio.”

Close loss no consolation

The Panthers struggled to a 30-point loss to Illinois in their season opener at Lantz Arena a year ago.

But despite having a lead of as many as 14 points in the second half on Sunday and only losing by four points, Galligan made it clear that there was no consolation in the loss.

“We didn’t go in there hoping to lose by a little,” Galligan said. “We knew we had a shot to beat them and just came up a little short. But to play an athletic Big Ten team like that shows us the type of team we are and can be. By no means are we saying it’s good that we only lost by four. We know we could’ve won and are disappointed we didn’t.”

Sallee said while he thought his team played well in the loss, his expectations were to come out of Champaign with a victory.

“This was a tough game on the road that we competed pretty well in,” he said. “We expected to come in and win – we didn’t just want to play close. But it goes to show you the step this program has taken.”

Canale on the boards

Ellen Canale was pleasantly surprised after Friday’s victory to learn she had earned a double-double with her 14-point, 10-rebound performance.

“Sweet,” said the 5-foot-9 senior guard from Canton, Mich. “I’ve only done that once before. That’s really cool.” Canale followed up her 10-rebound performance with a team-high seven in Sunday’s loss to Illinois.

She said going after rebounds despite usually having two or more teammates six feet or taller on the court is just a part of her game.

“That’s just me trying to make sure I do what I do; going to the offensive boards and making sure that I crash and make sure that I’m playing aggressive,” Canale said. “That’s when I play my best, and that’s what coach tells me to do.”

Sallee said he has come to expect performances like Friday’s from Canale.

“That’s who Ellen has been for us her whole career,” Sallee said. “To see her put 14 points and 10 rebounds on the board, and to see what she did to their leading scorer, I can’t say enough about the effort of Ellen.”

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Womens Basketball: Early win builds momentum

Junior guard Dominique Sims shoots the ball during the game against Miami (Ohio) on Friday in Lantz Arena. The Panthers won their season opener against the Redhawks 82-74. (Alycia Rockey