Football: Late fumble ends Eastern’s chance to break even

Austin Peay took a 15-13 lead on Saturday afternoon at O’Brien Stadium on a 45-yard touchdown run by red-shirt freshman running back Ryan White.

The Governors held on to that two-point lead for their second win of the season even after Eastern was six yards from scoring a game-winning touchdown with less than one minute remaining in the game.

“We got beat by a team that made fewer mistakes,” Eastern head coach Bob Spoo said. “What else can I say? They made more plays than we did, and that was the end result.”

The Panthers (4-7, 2-5 Ohio Valley Conference) took possession with 2 minutes, 38 seconds remaining in the game after Austin Peay (2-8, 2-5 OVC) failed to convert on fourth and three.

Red-shirt junior quarterback Bodie Reeder rushed for four yards and a first down on a crucial third and one then completed five consecutive passes to three different receivers. The Panthers were 19 yards from the end zone after the fifth completion – a five yard, one-handed grab by senior wide receiver Alicus Nozinor.

“I had to take a chance on a couple plays, and some guys took care of it,” Reeder said. “Our offense is a lot better when we spread the ball around and a lot of different guys get touches.”

Eastern red-shirt senior running back Travorus Bess got the handoff on the next play and rushed for 13 yards before fumbling on the six-yard line.

“When it happened it reminded me of Illinois State two years ago,” Eastern red-shirt senior defensive end Pierre Walters said. “It’s heartbreaking. That hurt; especially to lose like that.”

Austin Peay junior free safety Tremayne Townsend recovered the fumble and two kneels by Govs’ sophomore quarterback Trent Caffee later the game was finished.

Austin Peay head coach Rick Christophel said he did not want to blitz the Panthers during their last offensive drive.

“They threw the ball around the field,” Christophel said. “We were fortunate enough to make a recovery.”

Christophel said he did not want to give up an easy score. He said his team played a disciplined game, and that is what kept the Govs in the game through the fourth quarter.

“Personally, I thought they were going to kick a field goal,” Christophel said about the Panthers’ final drive. “That’s probably what they were trying to do. Unless somebody just took some chances and make some plays, there weren’t going to be a lot of points scored.”

Austin Peay took the first lead on a 33-yard field goal by sophomore kicker John Bell with 5:34 remaining in the first quarter. Eastern answered less than two minutes later on a 20-yard touchdown run by red-shirt sophomore running back Chevon Walker.

Eastern red-shirt senior kicker Tyler Wilke put the Panthers ahead 10-3 before halftime on a 21-yard field goal.

The Governors scored again to start the second half when junior linebacker Jay Courtney blocked a punt by Eastern red-shirt sophomore punter Kevin Cook. Sophomore linebacker Ricky Thomas recovered the blocked punt and rumbled 17 yards down the left sideline for the touchdown.

Eastern senior cornerback Shelton Penrow intercepted Caffee in the end zone on the two-point conversion, and Austin Peay trailed 10-9.

Wilke increased the Panthers’ lead to four points on a 36-yard field goal with 4:22 left in the the third quarter, but White’s touchdown sealed the Govs’ win.

White led Austin Peay with 124 yards rushing and one touchdown on 23 carries. Sophomore running back Terrence Holt added 85 yards on the ground, as the Governors had 340 yards total offense.

“The running game is what we do,” White said. “We wanted to come out and establish ourselves.”

Scott Richey can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Football: Late fumble ends Easterns chance to break even

After Eastern sophomore punter Kevin Cook’s kick was blocked, Austin Peay sophomore linebacker Ricky Thomas picked up the football to score a touchdown on Saturday at O’Brien Stadium. Eastern lost its last home game 15-13 because of a fumble with less th