Women’s Soccer: Lorbert humble despite success on the field

Kaylin Lorbert is on a roll.

The sophomore goalkeeper has been in goal for all three matches of the Panthers’ latest hot streak, and has not allowed a goal in 338 minutes of action.

Likewise, after three straight shutouts added to the final 46 scoreless minutes of a 2-1 loss to Eastern Kentucky, the Panthers have not allowed a goal in their last 335 total minutes.

Even with the recent string of success that has seen the Panthers go 2-0-1 in their last three matches after starting the season 0-12-1, Lorbert is quick to credit the team in front of her for her success.

“There have been some major people stepping up for us,” Lorbert said after racking up nine saves in a 0-0 tie at Austin Peay. “(Red-shirt freshman) Sam Balek headed a shot off the line a few games ago and overall a lot of people have been blocking shots and contributing.”

Despite her humble approach, the numbers tell a different story about Lorbert.

Her goals against average after nine games played, including seven starts, is 1.01.

That would be sixth-best in Eastern history.

Additionally, her four shutouts this season is the seventh-most in program history for a single season.

Head coach Tim Nowak said he has always known Lorbert is capable of producing as she has this season.

“She’s grown up a lot in the past year and a half and we’re seeing what we expected out of her coming in,” Nowak said. “Her ability to make the big plays and control the game using her voice giving direction, she’s really stepped up.”

Credit to the defense

Nowak said that a major factor in the team’s recent success has been the play of his back-line defense.

Senior Ashley Slota, sophomore Rebecca Holcomb and freshmen Hillary Blake and Balek started at defense in both of the Panthers’ matches over the weekend.

“(The back four) have been solid for us and consistent and that’s been a big factor for us,” Nowak said. “That’s the most you can ask of them is to be consistent and make the plays their teammates expect them to make. They’re a big reason why we’ve had three shutouts in a row.”

Seniors leading the way

Nowak credited the play of his seniors as a big reason why the team has found their stride of late.

Slota, forward Pam Melinauskas and defender Lindsey Wilkening are the only three seniors on the Panthers’ roster, but Nowak was quick to point out how much they have meant to the team’s success.

“What (Melinauskas) does on the field is amazing. She’s consistent every single second of the game and her ability to impose herself into a game is remarkable,” Nowak said. “While Slota isn’t as involved by playing right-back, she’s steady and focused and (Wilkening) is coming back from injury but has been very involved. They’re all leading well and pushing their teammates.”

In Sunday’s tie at Austin Peay, Melinauskas and Wilkening combined for four of the team’s nine total shots and two of their five shots on goal.

Playoff push

The Panthers are currently tied for sixth place in the Ohio Valley Conference with Jacksonville State. While Jacksonville State holds the tiebreaker due to a head-to-head win over the Panthers, Eastern still has a legitimate shot at making the OVC tournament, but must take care of business in their OVC finale against Southeast Missouri on Sunday.

Eastern could get in with a win/draw and a pair of weekend losses by Jacksonville State, or a win and a pair of losses by Tennessee Tech.

While Tech is currently fifth in the OVC, the pair of losses and win by Eastern would put them in a tie, and the Panthers hold the tiebreaker over them due to a head-to-head win.

Nowak said that while the opportunity to make the playoffs is a factor in their performance, it’s not the only reason the team has been playing well of late.

“(The opportunity to make the playoffs) is definitely a motivator,” Nowak said. “This is a proud program and they have a lot of pride. We’re not going to wade out silently. We’ve known all year that this is what we’re capable of.”

Colin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Womens Soccer: Lorbert humble despite success on the field

Sophomore midfielder Kaitlin Sullivan takes a shot against Morehead State on Oct. 12 at Lakeside Field. The Panthers have gone 2-0-1 in their last three matches. (Amir Prellberg