Royal Kickoff: Coronation of 2008 starts off Homecoming week

Eastern has kicked off its Homecoming celebration with the coronation process for the past 103 years.

Instead of patiently waiting for the results of the Homecoming Court, the winners are able to celebrate Homecoming with the university for the entire week during Coronation.

This year, the wait is over for the Homecoming Court that includes Chandra Golden as queen, Daniel Rolando as king, Preston Smith as prince, and Caitie Glenn as princess.

The ceremony

This year’s Coronation started off Homecoming Week Monday night in Lantz Arena.

Residence halls, student and Greek organizations were in attendance to show support for their fellow candidates.

The band, The Staff Blues, kept the crowd entertained with songs representing the Homecoming theme this year: “Rock ‘n’ Roll, Pop ‘n’ Soul.”

Golden, who was chosen as queen and represented the Black Student Union, said being named queen is an accomplishment.

“It’s a blessing to have won,” she said. “It just goes to show that God is a good God.”

Golden said with her new title as Homecoming queen, she plans to be a role model.

“I am going to encourage diversity and school spirit,” she said. “Those are the most important things.”

Rolando, who was chosen king and represented Sigma Alpha Epsilon, said he was hopeful for the win as king.

“This is a great feeling,” he said. “I am very proud of myself.”

Jarrod Scherle, a junior engineering major, said it was exciting for someone from his fraternity, the Sig Eps, to win.

“We are not a big fraternity, so this is pretty exciting for us,” he said. “We are pumped.”

Glenn, who was chosen as princess, represented Delta Zeta. Smith, who was chosen as prince, also represented the BSU.

Smith said his experience with running was not so bad after all.

“Of course the competitive spirit comes out,” he said.

Smith added the win was unexpected, but also plans to be a role model among his peers.

“I will try to (represent) EIU to the best of my abilities,” he said.

In order for these winners, and the other contestants, to run for Homecoming court, there were requirements they all had to demonstrate.

Each contestant had to have a 2.5 GPA and had to write a detailed biography.

Also, the contestants had to go through an interviewing process that counted for 60 percent of their overall score.

Alyssa Godzicki, a sophomore foreign language major who ran for Homecoming Court, said she probably would have prepared for the interview portion better.

“Looking back on the questions, I would have answered them thoroughly and better,” she said.

Overall, Godzicki said she still feels like a winner.

“I still feel like I won,” she said. “I am just so excited to be a part of it all.”

New twist on court

This year, the Homecoming Coronation Committee decided to add to the royalty – a little prince and princess, and a faculty king and queen, were also named.

The winners for faculty queen and king were mathematics and computer sciences professor Andrew White and biology professor Barbara Carlsward.

Andrew Hubbard, chair of the Homecoming Coronation Committee, said the faculty had to go through a rigorous screening.

“They had to demonstrate EIU pride and dedication to the university,” he said.

Markaila McGee, from Jefferson Elementary School, and Matthew Taylor, from the Charleston Christian Academy, were crowned the 2008 little prince and princess.

Hubbard said the contestants had to demonstrate a few things to be sought out for this honor.

“They had to demonstrate eating their vegetables, going along with nap time, and keep fussing down to a minimum,” he said.

Hubbard said the coronation was a milestone in Homecoming week.

“The royalty court is so important,” he said.

Hubbard said of 12,000-plus students who attend Eastern, the 52 contestants had one thing in mind.

“And that is to be held in the elite of EIU royalty,” he said.

Jessica Leggin can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Royal Kickoff: Coronation of 2008 starts off Homecoming week

Chandra Golden (right), representing the Black Student Union, is crowned Homecoming queen during Eastern’s Homecoming Coronation ceremony in Lantz Arena on Monday night. This year’s event also included the crowning of a faculty king and queen, and a littl