Volleyball: Panthers look for first conference win

Eastern freshman outside hitter Madison Barr was concise in summing up the Panthers’ feelings about losing six straight matches and nine of their last 10 matches.

“We are sick and tired with losing, and we’ll get it done next time,” Barr said.

That next time will be tonight when Barr and the Panthers (3-9, 0-2 Ohio Valley Conference) will get an opportunity against to end their losing streak with a match against OVC rival Murray State at 7 p.m. in Lantz Arena.

Murray State (3-7, 0-1 OVC) has also had recent troubles.

The Racers are on a six-match losing streak.

Murray State has won only three sets during their recent slide.

Murray State has been shut out 3-0 on four separate occasions during its losing streak.

The Racers failed to win a set against Furman, Indiana-Purdue-Fort Wayne, South Florida and Alabama.

The Panthers have not won a single set during their six-game losing streak. Eastern lost 3-0 to Toledo, Mississippi, Southern Methodist, Georgia Tech, Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky.

Eastern head coach Lori Bennett said her team has been pressing to win a set.

But she said she hopes Eastern’s losing streak will end against the Racers.

“I think it would help us relax a little bit,” Bennett said.

Bennett said she was disappointed when the Panthers were not able to win the first set against Eastern Kentucky on Saturday when they were leading 27-26.

The Panthers also dropped the third set to the Colonels after it was tied at 26-26.

During the weekend’s matches against Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky, the Panthers committed 42 errors.

Seven of them occurred when their opponents had 21 or more points in the set.

Bennett said the Panthers need to stay focused and execute well at crucial points in a match to defeat Murray State.

“We have to do a better job and stay disciplined in system in important times,” Bennett said.

In the third set against the Colonels, the Panthers showed resilience.

They trailed 20-13 and were able to tie the set at 26.

Whenever Eastern Kentucky would attack, the Panthers’ defenders would scramble and even dive to save the ball.

“We are coming together as a team,” Barr said of her team’s hustle. “We learned a lot from the match.”

But Bennett said the Panthers did not play consistent defense this weekend.

Against Morehead State on Friday, Eastern limited the Eagles to a .165 hitting percentage.

The Panthers also out-blocked the Eagles by three and a half blocks.

Eastern Kentucky, however, hit .230 and had a two and a half edge in blocking. Senior middle hitter Lauren Sopcic led the Panthers with two blocks against the Colonels.

Barr said the Panthers are working on their defensive systems to prepare for Murray State.

She said going back to what worked against Morehead State would help the Panthers defensively against the Racers.

Bob Bajek can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Volleyball: Panthers look for first conference win

Senior middle hitter Lauren Sopcic goes up for a spike during practice at Lantz Arena. The Panthers are looking to end their six-match losing streak against Murray State tonight.