Jobu to play at Uptowner

Carbondale-based band, JoBu, is attempting to accomplish something that is very rare in today’s music scene. The boys of JoBu are attempting to get fans of all types of music to listen to their rock/reggae/fusion sound.

“We encourage fans of music ranging from heavy metal to funk to come and have a listen,” said Evan Ryan, drummer and percussion player for JoBu. “We try to incorporate all kinds of music into our sound, we really don’t like to be held back by any limitations.

“We want to try and write music for the masses.”

JoBu has been a band since 2005 and the band’s current lineup has been intact since 2007. The band is made up of Aaron VanVooren (lead vocals/guitar), Matt Hines (lead guitar/vocals), Andrew Neel (bass) and Evan Ryan (drums). JoBu can be seen at 10 p.m. Saturday at Mac’s Uptowner.

Each member of JoBu knew that at an early age, they wanted to play music. VanVooren and Hines both picked up the guitar at age 12, while Neel began his exploration of the bass in grade school. Evan Ryan took his first interest in the drums at the age of 4.

One thing JoBu tries to do that is different from the typical jam/rock scene is the strong emphasis on structuring their songs.

“We try to use a different setup on stage that focuses on communication between all of us,” Ryan said. “We focus a lot on writing transitions and knowing what each other will do during these parts. Not to say that we don’t allow for extended jams, but we try to stay on the same page.”

JoBu is no stranger to touring either; it has traveled extensively throughout the Midwest. The band acknowledged that the touring puts strain on other relationships, but that ” only makes us appreciate the people close to us that much more.”

JoBu is fresh off an 11-day, nine-show tour that left the band appreciating crowds of all sizes.

“Even if there are only six people in attendance, as long as they feel it, then our job is done,” Ryan said. “Obviously, nothing tops the hometown crowd, but we enjoy the hard touring schedule.”

The habit of a constant touring schedule has paid off for the band with an appearance at the 2007 Summer Camp in Chillicothe.

“We really enjoyed the atmosphere of the place and it was a truly inspiring event,” Ryan said.

JoBu currently has one album out on the market that can be purchased on I-tunes or at the band’s Web site, www.jobumusic.com. The album is titled, “Stop Time,” and was recorded in January at the Institute of Production and Recording in Minneapolis. The album took nine days to record and it left the band with an accomplished feeling.

“We believe it to be a great first album; in a way, it’s kind of our baby,” Ryan said.

Jobu to play at Uptowner

Jobu to play at Uptowner

JoBu will bring its rock/reggae fusion jam band sound to Mac’s Uptowner for a show at 10 p.m. Saturday. (Photo Courtesy of Jobu)