Professor points, shoots life

As Jim Standerfer reached to grab a beer out of Walt Ledbetter’s fridge, he noticed a rattlesnake Ledbetter had killed.

Standerfer figured the Mississippi man would probably eat the dead reptile later.

Standerfer, an English teacher at Casey-Westfield High School, and Eastern journalism professor Brian Poulter met Ledbetter at a McDonald’s in Mississippi.

They had been experiencing a bit of southern hospitality – complete with bacon-wrapped grilled duck Ledbetter killed himself.

“If you want to know what it tastes like, imagine the best food you had ever tasted. Now imagine that food wrapped in bacon,” Standerfer wrote in a blog.

The blog was part of a project he and Poulter worked on during the summer. The pair took a two-week trip on their motorcyles that took them from New Orleans to Minnesota. Poulter took photos during the trip and Standerfer took care of the writing side.

The result is the itty-bitty photo blog project, on display in the Tarble Arts Center until Sept. 28.

The display contains several 4-by-6 photos from the journey as well as photos Poulter shot with a point-and-shoot camera in and around Charleston.

Poulter wanted to prove one can take great pictures using a regular, unsophisticated camera.

“You can give Picasso the cheapest paint, and he could still paint,” he said.

Short written entries by Standerfer explain the photos.

The photos include everything from a man in a bunny suit at Eastern’s Homecoming to a picture of a road covered in water and a photo of the Illinois memorial at the Vicksburg Battlefield Museum in Vicksburg, Miss.

Poulter had an idea where he would force himself to take a picture and post it on his Web site.

He would grab his camera and take pictures of everyday events. Soon, he came up with the idea for the trip along the Mississippi River.

Poulter had two rules for the trip. The duo had to drive on the back roads, and he could only use a point-and-shoot camera.

Poulter and Standerfer began the trip in mid-June in New Orleans and weaved through the states all the way to Minnesota.

They did not plan where they were staying or even what towns they would hit along the way.

“Every day was a surprise,” Standerfer said.

One surprise occurred in Mississippi, where they met Ledbetter. Ledbetter approached the two because of their Illinois license plates.

Poulter said the first thing Ledbetter remarked was that they had driven a long way to eat McDonald’s.

Ledbetter rode with Poulter and Standerfer and show them the back roads in the area.

After a physically demanding day of riding on their bikes, Ledbetter took them back to his house where he served them their fowl treat.

Ledbetter was not the only person they met during the trip. People from all over stopped and spoke with the men.

“If you’re doing something weird, people like you,” Poulter said.

They both were taken out of their comfort zones and talked to many people they had never met before.

Many people helped them along their trip.

One man, during a particularly nasty storm, called around until he could find someone to check out the weather so that Poulter and Standerfer knew when it would be safe to ride again.

The motorcycles helped them be less intimidating and open with people because it placed them closer to their environment than riding in a car would.

Poulter and Standerfer did have some trouble with riding the bikes on gravel. During the trip, both had accidents that took them and their bikes down.

Standerfer claimed he and Poulter had morning/evening pain killer rituals.

“I lived through this one, though the next trip I take might be on foot,” Standerfer said.

Both men felt that the trip was a positive experience despite their obstacles.

“I would be lying if I said I didn’t like it,” Poulter said.

The blog can also be viewed at the Decatur Herald and Review archives at www.herald-review.com.

For more of Poulter’s photos, visit www.ittybittyphoto.com.

Professor points, shoots life

Professor points, shoots life

Journalism professor, Brian Poulter, stands by his work.