Top Cat: British import leads team to two straight victories

Sophomore striker Alex Harrison is feeling a lot more comfortable this year, both on the field and off.

Last year, the freshman scored five goals, a solid contribution from any newcomer, but especially tough for someone living in a new country.

“My first year it was really hard to adjust, leaving everything you know, your family, your friends,” said Harrison, “I’ve been looking to get going early this season.”

The import from Newcastle, England. scored three goals and assisted one more during the men’s soccer team’s road trip sweep this weekend.

“I think being over here for a while is what really got me going this year. I’m more settled in now,” Harrison said.

Harrison scored two of his three goals against Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne in the Panthers 5-2 win Sunday, finishing off a strong offensive weekend for the Panthers in which the team scored seven goals.

“That’s why we brought him over, to score goals.” Eastern men’s head soccer coach Adam Howarth said. “He had five last year, and has three already this year. As long as he keeps banging shots into the net, I’m happy.”

The sophomore was recognized as the Missouri Valley Conference player of the week for his outstanding play over the weekend.

“It feels great to be recognized as the MVC player of the week,” Harrison said. “We play in one of the toughest conferences in the country, so to be recognized individually is fantastic.”

Harrison made sure to add that the team’s two wins are what matters most.

Fellow striker senior Brad Peters likes having a quality teammate like Harrison on the field with him.

“His skill on the ball and his energy on the field with the team are great contributions, and not only is he a good teammate, but he’s a good friend,” Peters said. “He works hard everyday, and has a great attitude.”

After a pair of weekend victories and a win on Aug. 31 against Missouri-Kansas City, the Panthers head into this weekends Northern Illinois invitational riding a three-match win streak.

They open the weekend tournament Friday in a match against Northwestern, who is ranked No. 14 nationally by the National Coaches Soccer Association of America. Eastern will finish off the tournament Sunday against host NIU.

Richard Morse can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Top Cat: British import leads team to two straight victories

Three out of the five goals during the match against Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne were made by Alex Harrison, sophomore striker. A native of England, Harrison has scored in every match this season and got his second career multi-goal game. (Karolina Strack/T