Need a music fix? Head out to the JAC

When musicians perform, most will tell you the audience’s mood can make or break a performance.

So when they perform at Jackson Avenue Coffee, 708 Jackson Ave., owner Ryan Dawson said the setting creates a different feel.

“At bars, people come in for the atmosphere, but when a band is performing, don’t really pay attention,” he said.

The JAC, as Eastern students have come to know Dawson’s business, is one of four places to go for live music in Charleston. The other three are Mac’s Uptowner, Panther Paw Bar & Grilland Friends & Co. The JAC’s shows are free while the three bars charge a cover for entrance, usually less than $5.

Some bars try to lighten the damage to patrons’ pockets by lowering prices elsewhere, such has having drink specials the same nights as performances.

“We always have a discount on something,” said Zack Housner, a manager at Panther Paw Bar & Grill.

Housner said the the Panther Paw is trying to add new bands to their roster this year, such as bringing in Wedding Banned, a cover band from Chicago. They will also continue to hold performances by Sixteen Candles, Hairbangers Ball, and Mike & Joe on Thursday nights.

The JAC offers live music four nights a week, including a bluegrass jam band on Mondays, Eastern’s Jazz Combo on Tuesdays, open mic nights on Thursdays and booked shows on Saturday.

Despite the free shows, Dawson said they still have standards in the bands they book.

“The bands we bring in must be somewhat professional,” Dawson said.

Dawson said the difference between going to a bar and going to the coffee shop is that the people who go to the performances are there strictly for the performance.

“We don’t do it for the money,” Dawson said. “We do it for the spirit.”

The booked performers must provide music up front before the show is finalized.

The shop has, on occasion, asked a few open mic performers to open a show.

“There’s a high school girl who has a pretty good voice that we have asked to open a show a few times,” Dawson said.

Bands can also perform at open mic as an audition if they don’t have a demo of songs for Dawson.

“They should be a legitimate band, not just some guy who can only start a song but not finish it,” Dawson said.

Dawson also talked about how difficult it can be to bring in musicians from other towns and states because of the lack of advertising.

Dawson said he had booked a band from Pennsylvania, and because no one in the area knew who they were, the shop was completely empty that night except for the employees and the band.

Dawson does try to pay the bands that come in, but his pay is based on merit. He said if they promote the show and seem to make an effort, he pays them more than somebody who just shows up.

The shop is currently booking for the rest of the year.

“I really want local music from Eastern and the community,” said Dawson.

The shop provides an in-house sound system, which is located in the rear of the shop, along with a miniature stage, piano, chairs and microphones.

Need a music fix? Head out to the JAC

Need a music fix? Head out to the JAC

The Big Blue Mountain Band practices at Jackson Avenue Coffee on Monday, Aug. 25. Big Blue Mountain practices every Monday at Jackson Avenue and offer a variety of traditional bluegrass and country music. The JAC is one of four venues in Charleston that