Top Cat: Coming back with a swing

Eastern junior women’s golfer Carrie Riordan never gave up.

She climbed into the top 10 in the Ohio Valley Conference Championships last week after faltering in the first round.

The Spring Valley native shot an 85 (+13) at The Shoals on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Muscle Shoals, Ala., in the first round, which left her tied for 23rd. Eastern’s team shared her struggles and were in seventh out of eight teams after the first round.

“I was a little discouraged, because you don’t want to start a tournament like that,” Riordan said. “But I knew I couldn’t give up.”

She came back strong the second day shooting a 78 and climbed to 19th.

Her teammates knew they could count on her for a strong performance – even after a difficult first round.

“She is always going to be up there near the top,” said junior Katie Imburgia. “If she isn’t playing well, she always finds a way to turn it around.”

Riordan continued her improvement into the final round by shooting a 75. The strong score vaulted her into a tie for ninth place.

“I was pleased with my finish because of how far I had to come back,” she said. “I didn’t think I would be able to pass that many people.”

Eastern head coach Mike Moncel said the comeback has to do with Riordan’s character. He said she had to stay steady and grind to get into the top 10.

“Carrie has very good character, and she is tough,” Moncel said. “She showed it by fighting back in this tournament.”

Even though she was behind, Riordan said she had to stay patient. She said when you get behind in golf it is crucial to take it one shot at a time.

“You can never get too crazy with golf,” she said. “I just had to keep playing my game.”

The Panthers also were able to shake off a bad first round and make up ground in the tournament. They went from seventh to sixth after round two and all the way to a fourth place finish after the third round. Knowing the team could still move up is part of what motivated Riordan.

“I had to keep fighting,” she said. “I couldn’t let my team down.”

Imburgia said Riordan’s consistency motivates the team.

“We know we can rely on her to do well,” she said. “It encourages the rest of us to do the same.”

While Eastern would have liked a better finish in the OVC Championships, their progress in the last two rounds has them excited for next season.

“Climbing back to fourth showed us we can compete with these teams,” Imburgia said. “The experience gives us confidence for next year.”

Moncel said his team showed its character by refusing to give up.

“They are fighters,” he said. “We regrouped and showed what we were made of.”

Riordan said she was disappointed with her the finish but was encouraged by the team’s determination to battle back after a poor first round.

“Overall I know we could have done better, but I’m pleased with how we fought back,” Riordan said. “I know we will be ready for next year.”

Micky Deming can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Top Cat: Coming back with a swing

Top Cat: Coming back with a swing

Junior Carrie Riordan battled back after a rough start to finish ninth in the Ohio Valley Conference Championship last week in Florence, Ala. (John Bailey / The Daily Eastern News)