CD Review: Get it on with Groovatron

When I heard the word Groovatron I immediately pictured a machine of some sort that, very systematically, grooves.

A look at the album cover, and it became a bit clearer to me what a Groovatron might be.

The album cover, a human head with a multitude of gears within, led me a bit closer to an understanding.

I decided a Groovatron is not just one’s own brain, but one’s capability to groove.

This album does just that. “In the Machine” immediately reminded me of The Police’s “Ghosts in the Machine,” but put it to sound, and it’s quite different.

There isn’t a word from start to finish, but the album’s pure instrumentals reminded me of other bands or groups I am familiar with.

In “Scuff Muffin,” the first minute and a half sound straight off a Crystal Method album. Although Groovatron is a bit funkier than The Crystal Method, the influence was there.

But after looking at Groovatron’s make-up, it’s all made up of ‘real’ musical instruments, meaning guitar, bass, drums, saxophone, etc…, whereas groups like The Crystal Method use turntables and electronics to make sound.

The album opens with “Star Biscuit,” the initial sounds making me feel as if I am being abducted by aliens, which would be way awesome.

As the track plays on, the uses of saxophone make me think immediately of a band called “Sweep The Leg Johnny.” Much like Groovatron, they are a unique band, almost untimely and awkwardly using things where one wouldn’t expect, but it works and it fits well with everything else going on.

On “Seizures Salad,” there is a more defined example of the band’s jam tone, as it starts out with a steady, constant jam.

I’m no expert on jam bands, but it’s a train of sound you may know it if you heard it.

By the time I reached track seven of the total nine, I already gained a good sense of what Groovatron was all about.

But it was during “MacGyver” that I really picked up on the Primus influence, via Tony Qualls’ pounding bass lines.

I consider myself a Primus fan, and hearing their influence turned me on to their stuff even more.

All in all, Groovatron is a funky band – no bones about it.

The only thing I would like to know at this point is how they came up with the song titles.

For example, listening to “MacGyver” made me think of Primus, not the awesomely innovative “I-can-get-out-of-any-situation-with-a-paper clip-and-chewing-gum” TV character.

If you’re into funk, groove, jam bands, electronica or even mellower, older groups I’d give Groovatron a shot in the CD player.

It’s different than anything I’ve heard.

CD Review: Get it on with Groovatron

CD Review: Get it on with Groovatron

Groovatron’s new album, “In the Machine.”