Baseball: Two big innings seal Sycamores win

Indiana State used a four-run seventh inning to get a come-from-behind victory against Eastern on Wednesday afternoon at Coaches Stadium.

The Panthers (14-14) opened up a 6-2 lead after three innings, but four-run innings by the Sycamores in the fourth and seventh gave Indiana State the win.

Indiana State sophomore second baseman Ryan Strausborger led off the top of the seventh with a single between first and second base off Eastern junior reliever Ross Jeske. Senior center fielder Chris Schmidt reached on a bunt single down the third base line and pushed Strausborger to second.

ISU junior left fielder Brady Shoemaker drilled a double down the right field line to score Strausborger.

Jeske was pulled after Shoemaker’s double, and junior reliever Brian Morrell came in to face Indiana State junior catcher Zane Chavez. Chavez fouled off three pitches with a 1-2 count before grounding out to first base. Morrell then struck out junior designated hitter Brian Oliver.

Eastern head coach Jim Schmitz then called for an intentional walk of Indiana State junior first baseman Brian Jett to load the bases. Indiana State senior third baseman David Brumagin laced a 0-1 pitch to right-center field for a three-run double.

“In that situation we’re just trying to get a ball elevated a little bit in the strike zone, so we can hit it hard somewhere,” said Indiana State head coach Lindsay Meggs. “(Brugamin) got a good pitch to hit a little up in the zone, and he put a good swing on it.”

Morrell said the pitch Brugamin hit was a slider. He said he made close to the pitch he wanted, but it wasn’t low enough or away enough in the strike zone.

“A lot of our pitches were up, which doesn’t help with the wind blowing like it was,” Morrell said. “But we still have to know with the wind like this, you’ve got to get the ball down to be successful.”

Schmitz said he discussed the intentional walk to load the bases with Eastern pitching coach Skylar Meade, and Schmitz said he would make the same move again.

Schmitz said Morrell gets in trouble when he throws consecutive sliders. He said a better pitching strategy for Morrell would be to mix in fastballs for a change of pace.

“Morrell throws good sliders, but then he misses one,” Schmitz said. “Hanging sliders are normally hit.”

Meggs said he didn’t think either team did a good job of working the ball down in the strike zone, and he said that wasn’t good because of the steady wind blowing out of Coaches Stadium.

Meggs said both pitching staffs got behind in counts and had to throw fastballs to try and get strikes.

“I think, like us, when (Eastern) got behind and had to challenge people with a fastball on a day like today you’re taking your life in your own hands,” Meggs said. “No different than us, when they got behind they paid the price.”

Morrell said getting behind in the count hurt the Panthers.

“A lot of them were just sitting on the fastball,” Morrell said. “When they got it, they hit.”

After the third inning, Eastern wasn’t able to do the same. Schmitz said he was disappointed with how Indiana State’s pitching staff was able to set the Panthers down after Eastern scored six early runs.

“I’m a little disappointed in how, offensively, we didn’t answer the bell,” Schmitz said. “Offensively I thought we should have battled.”

Schmitz said Indiana State junior reliever Nate Inman kept the Panthers off-balance because the Sycamores’ starting pitcher (senior Chad Dawson) was just a hard thrower who favored fastballs.

Meggs said Inman was a deciding factor in the Sycamores’ win.

“I thought the key for us was Nate Inman coming in and giving us some innings,” Meggs said. “The fact he was able to change speeds. That’s what he’s got to do because he’s not going to overpower you. He had good command of his slider, which was important.”

Scott Richey can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Baseball: Two big innings seal Sycamores win

Freshman pitcher Mike Recchia had a rough outing on Wednesday afternoon, giving up three homeruns in 3.2 innings pitched at Coaches Stadium against the Indiana State Sycamores. (John Bailey / The Daily Eastern News)