Training for the championship throws

Sophomore thrower Kandace Arnold went back to the equipment closet as most of her teammates were going home for the night.

Arnold wanted to get in a few more drills before she left, even if she would be training alone.

Arnold is the third-farthest thrower in the Ohio Valley Conference in both the shot put and the weight throw and was named the OVC Freshman of the Year last season. This season she has finished in the top ten of 4-of-5 meets and won the shot put at the EIU Early Bird Invite.

She is one of the favorites to win both the shot put and weight throw in the OVC Indoor Championships next week and knows it will take hard work to take the crown this season.

“I looked at the rankings and anybody can win,” Arnold said. “It’s going to be so exciting and a good competition.”

Earlier this season, Arnold went head-to-head with one of the OVC’s top ranked throwers in Southeast Missouri sophomore Ashley Brewer. Brewer is rated ahead of Arnold in the 20-pound weight throw.

Arnold was able to defeat her head-to-head at the Indiana Relays on Feb. 1-2, in both the shot put and weight throw, something the Evergreen Park native said gave her confidence.

“On the finals day, she did not throw that well,” Arnold said. “I am consistent, and she is not. As long as I stay consistent I know I can beat her.”

Arnold takes pride in her work ethic. She said that is a big difference this year compared to last year.

“Last year as a freshman I was very lazy,” Arnold said. “I didn’t like to run. I was like, ‘I am a thrower, why do I have to run?'”

Sophomore thrower Jaimee Phegley said she has seen a major improvement in Arnold’s work ethic from last season.

“Kandace is in a more elite group now,” Phegley said. “She is much stronger in the weight room and can get through her workouts faster. There has been a major improvement in her numbers.”

Phegley said Arnold is a great teammate who is willing to help out any thrower with their technique.

“We have so much fun with each other; that’s why everyone likes going to practice,” Phegley said. “She is always positive and in a good mood. She is always trying to keep everybody up.”

Arnold said coming into this year she knew it would take hard work in order to compete with the elite throwers in the conference.

“I know all the work last year helped me win Freshman of the Year,” Arnold said. “I want to be conference champion for both indoor and outdoor.”

Arnold said much of her success is a result of her coach and her desire to win.

“Coach Wallace is very important in my success, of course, and hard work,” Arnold said. “I’ve worked much harder this season because I know what it’s like to win and I want to continue to win.”

Arnold said she was not a competitive person until she got to college.

“I was competitive to an extent, but when I got here I realized I could be a Division I champion,” Arnold said. “I just want to keep winning.”

Arnold first realized her talent as a sophomore at Evergreen Park High School. Arnold was encouraged to join the team by a friend and had no idea what shot put was.

“The first day of practice the coach was like, ‘throw this,’ and I was like, ‘okay,’ and threw it farther than anyone on the team,” Arnold said. “And I really did not know what I was doing, so I was like, ‘I might be good at this.'”

Arnold played basketball in high school, and said she only joined track to stay in shape.

“I wanted to play basketball and I was only doing track to keep my legs strong and I ended up being better at track,” Arnold said. “So, I just went with the flow.”

A number of schools from Division I to Division III offered her scholarships for basketball.

“Basketball was good, but I don’t think I would have been Division I good,” Arnold said. “I felt I could compete at a high level in Division I track and field.”

Arnold said she is glad she chose track over basketball.

“I love track; it’s all me and my friends talk about,” Arnold said. “I’m so glad I did it.”

Training for the championship throws

Training for the championship throws

Sophomore thrower Kandace Arnold practices the weight throw in Lantz Field House on Monday afternoon. Arnold has been one of the top women throwers for coach Mary Wallace in field events for the indoor season. (John Bailey/The Daily Eastern News)