Indoor Track: Eastern poised for big meet at Iowa State

Both Eastern men’s and women’s track teams will compete at the Iowa State Classic this Friday and Saturday in Ames, Iowa, and coaches are expecting a number of season and personal bests this weekend.

“We are tapering down on our training. It’s the beginning of our tapering phase,” said Mary Wallace, Eastern women’s head indoor track coach. “So the athletes are feeling a little fresher. The level of competition will really be a push for them to bring there ‘A’ game.”

Wallace said what she has seen this week in practice is one of the reasons she expects plenty of season and personal bests.

“I don’t think there is one specific group that will stand out,” Wallace said. “It’s going be a great competitive environment. We are looking for everyone to step up to the challenge and compete hard and compete well. I have no doubt we will walk away from the meet with several season’s best and personal bests.”

Junior sprinter Shawana Smith is looking for the same results she had last year when she ran in the Iowa State Classic.

“Last year when at Indiana (Relays) I ran a 25.46 in the (200-meters dash). Then I went to Iowa (State) and ran a 25.12 and took a lot of my time,” Smith said. “I’m looking for the same thing as last year.”

Smith said she is running the 60-meter dash and the 200-meter dash this weekend and hopes to run a 7.6 or 7.7 in the 60 and a flat 25 seconds in the 200-meter.

Wallace also said that athletes are beginning to focus more that conference is only two weeks away.

“Our eyes are starting to focus on conference, the expectations of competing hard and with that environment you just start seeing the performances come,” Wallace said.

Smith said she is beginning to feel more confident in her workouts.

“I feel like I have improved my endurance,” Smith said. “I focus on being better than last year. If time comes it comes, but I’m really focused on improvement.”

Eastern men’s indoor track coach Tom Akers said this is one of the biggest and one of the most competitive indoor meets in the country. Akers said this meet will be similar to the Indiana Relays, but to a larger scale. The meet is expected to attract more than a 100 teams according to Akers.

“You cannot help but get excited when you are around quality track and field athletes,” Wallace said. “I know for some of the younger ones there might be some nerves to be in that environment is just a great opportunity. If they just allow themselves to compete good things will happen.”

Smith said she has a simple goal for herself for the meet this weekend.

“I’m looking for well this year I started off kind of slow,” Smith said. “Because I’ve been so mechanical with my workouts so I’m looking speed and to lower times as low as possible.”

The Classic is a two-day meet starting on Friday and is expected to begin at 1:30 p.m. with women’s weight throw. Saturday action is scheduled to start at 9:25 a.m. with the men’s and women’s 3,000-meter run.

Dan Cusack can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Indoor Track: Eastern poised for big meet at Iowa State

The Panthers women’s distance team warms up with a jog before heading outside during practice in the Lantz Fieldhouse. The Panthers travel to Iowa State for their next meet, which they will compete in preparation for the Ohio Valley Indoor Championship. (