Men’s Indoor Track: Jumping his way to success

Senior jumper Obe Eruteya loves to compete in just about everything he does.

“I am very competitive,” Eruteya said. “I love playing all kinds of sports. I do not like to lose in anything I’m doing. I love racing people, whether it’s riding faster or doing anything, I just love to compete.”

Eruteya has been competing in track since his freshman year in high school. His high school basketball coach realized how high he could jump and made him join the track team.

Since then, Eruteya has excelled in jumping.

The Chicago native won the Ohio Valley Conference Indoor Championship the past two seasons in the triple jump and was the OVC Indoor Track Athlete of the Week for Jan.9, but the senior said he is far from satisfied.

This season Eruteya has set a number of goals for himself.

In the high jump, his mind is jump 7 feet, 2 inches. His current best is 6 feet, 11 inches.

In the triple jump, Eruteya’s goal is 53 feet. His current best is 51 feet, 1 inch.

As for post-season awards, Eruteya said he wants to be an All-American, make Nationals, and win the OVC Indoor Athlete of the Year.

For Eurateya, awards like OVC Athlete of the Week do not leave him satisfied.

“My mindset for everything is if I believe I can do something, I’m going to set my mind to it and do it no matter what it is,” Euruteya said. “It doesn’t matter who you are or what school you go to. Each athlete wakes up everyday, puts on their clothes, showers and eats. The only difference is the jersey on their back. It doesn’t matter who it is. I’m gifted enough to compete with anybody on any level. All it takes is hard work and dedication”

First year assistant track coach JaRod Tolber said that he has been impressed by Eruteya’s talent.

“The talent for him is definitely there,” Tobler said. “That will get him to the point he wants to go. I know he definitely wants to go high in regionals and compete at the national level. We are just trying to hash out a few little technical aspects, and as soon as we get that I’ll get him where he wants to go.”

Eruteya said Tobler has been working with him on his triple jump technique in particular.

“Triple jump requires speed, power, flexibility and body awareness,” Eruteya said. “You want to be balanced, and when striking you don’t want to lean one way or another. (Tobler’s) been good with technique and helping us get kinks out and keeping our hips up when we are running.”

Eruteya said speed is important when running in triple jump because unlike the long jump you don’t take an ultimate step, you run off the board.

Eruteya competes in three events, but does not have a favorite. He just likes to jump.

After his senior season, Eruteya said he hopes to run for a professional or club team. He said he is still growing and there is still a lot he can learn.

Dan Cusack may be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Mens Indoor Track: Jumping his way to success

Senior jumper Obe Eruteya practices for the long jump in Lanzt Arena Tuesday afternoon. (Robbie Wroblewski