Dominating defense shows up

JACKSONVILLE, Ala. – The situation did not favor Eastern.

Jacksonville State had the ball in Panthers territory at the 37-yard Line with all the momentum. Dynamic quarterback Cedric Johnson was under center.

The Panthers led 30-23 at the time with 13 minutes, 34 seconds to go in the game.

But the way Johnson had broken apart Eastern’s defense with his arm and legs for much of the game suggested he would do the same on this drive.

He was denied the end zone on this drive by Panthers defense, proving the dominance that was talked about this year.

Johnson was a non-factor for much of the second half in Eastern’s 37-23 win at Paul Snow Memorial Stadium.

“I think (Johnson) wore down a little bit,” said Eastern defensive coordinator Roc Bellantoni. “They were running him ragged in the first half. We got a lot of pressure on him, we just didn’t make tackles on him.”

Johnson completed 8-of-9 passes for 100 yards in the first half and added 64 rushing yards on eight carries. The Panthers only led 23-20 at halftime, and Johnson had scored all three JSU touchdowns.

However, in the second half, he only completed 6-of-12 passes for 43 yards and added 36 rushing yards on six carries.

“They did everything that we thought they was going to do,” Johnson said. “They brought the safeties down and put them (at the line of scrimmage). All the things we worked on in practice this week, they did it.”

The tackles were evident in JSU’s first offensive possession of the fourth quarter.

On 1st-and-10, Johnson lined up center, took the snap and started to run right with running back Daniel Jackson trailing behind. Johnson had the option to either pitch the ball to Jackson or keep it.

The Panthers defensive line broke through JSU’s offensive line and forced Johnson to pitch the ball to Jackson.

Jackson only gained two yards before linebacker Donald Thomas pushed him out of bounds.

“We figured if we stop the run the only thing they can go to now was (Johnson) running the ball himself,” Thomas said. “After a while, in the second half, their running wasn’t as successful as it was in the first half.”

JSU lined up in the same formation, two running backs behind him and a wide receiver on each side, on 2nd-and-8.

Johnson looked to his right and nodded at wide receiver Josh Moten.

Moten nodded back.

Johnson’s play-action pass to Moten was on target at the Gamecocks 20. But Eastern senior defensive back Sinque Turner put a bone-jarring hit on Moten, and Moten dropped the pass.

“We play defense at Eastern Illinois, and everybody better know that,” said Eastern head coach Bob Spoo. “At some point in time, they’re going to hurt you if you’re not careful, and that’s what happened.”

Johnson lined up in the shotgun with Jackson next to him and a wide receiver on each side on 3rd-and-8.

Johnson looked down the field for an open receiver, but none wereavailable. He tucked the ball under and started to run. But the Panthers defensive line broke through JSU’s offensive line once again.

Sophomore defensive lineman Trevor Frericks came through first and forced Johnson to scramble.

Once Johnson started to run, his pocket around him collapsed, and junior defensive end Ryan Bennett brought down Johnson from behind for no gain.

The Gamecocks punted after Bennett’s tackle and never threatened again. “They played your tendencies with your formations,” said JSU head coach Jack Crowe. “We said if we could get the ball down the field and Outside, with them having a bunch of people in the box, that we could loosen them up and we could have a consistent running game, but we never had that.”

Dominating defense shows up

Dominating defense shows up

Eastern Headcoach Bob Spoo celebrates with offensive coordinator Jorge Munoz after Eastern’s win against Jacksonville State. Nora Maberry/The Daily Eastern News