Showdown in the South

An outright Ohio Valley Conference football title isn’t on the line in this year’s game between Eastern and Jacksonville State.

But a potential Football Championship Subdivision playoff berth is still at stake for both teams when they meet Saturday at noon in Jacksonville, Ala.

The last two years, Eastern has defeated the Gamecocks in the Panthers regular season finale. The 2005 win assured the Panthers an outright OVC title, while the 2006 win gave Eastern a share of the conference title. Both years, JSU came into this game with a chance to share the OVC title with a win.

JSU joined the league in 2003, and won the conference title its first two years in the league.

“It’s not many times late in the year that you have games where the people on the field are playing for the same prize,” said JSU head coach Jack Crowe. “And we are and have been, which has made this a very tough football game.”

The Gamecocks (6-3, 5-1 OVC) are a different team than the last two years with running back Clay Green no longer causing havoc to opposing defenses. Green rushed for more than 1,000 yards each of the last two seasons.

JSU is still a run-oriented offense, but with several contributors.

“As far as running the ball, they’re a physical team and they’ll run the ball right at you down your throat,” said Eastern middle linebacker Donald Thomas, who is expected to start and be close to 100 percent healthy after recovering from a right foot sprain the last four weeks. “It’s the old philosophy of smash-mouth football.”

Junior Daniel Jackson (5-foot-10, 210 pounds) leads the Gamecocks with 401 rushing yards. Junior Anthony Jones (6-2, 205) is also a threat, with 329 rushing yards.

But it’s JSU’s quarterback Cedric Johnson that makes the Gamecocks’ offense flow.

The 6-foot, 190-pound Johnson poses a challenge more so as a runner than a passer. He leads the team with eight rushing touchdowns and has 328 yards on the year.

“It seems like every week now we’re facing the same type of quarterback,” Eastern defensive coordinator Roc Bellantoni said. “An athletic guy that can run around and create plays with his feet. If the protection breaks down, that’s when he’s at his most dangerous.”

Thomas said the Panthers (6-3, 5-1) are more concerned about Johnson as a runner. But the transfer from Copiah-Lincoln Junior College in Wesson, Miss., has also thrown for 1,305 yards and four touchdowns.

Eastern head coach Bob Spoo said the Gameocks are more of an option-running team this year than in the past because of Johnson. Bellantoni said JSU will operate the option offense with Johnson under center and out of the shotgun.

“It’s kind of a headache,” Bellantoni said. “They’re a really good running team and they’ve got every running play known to mankind.”

Another headache JSU brings to Saturday’s game is its ability to score via its defense and special teams play. The Gamecocks have scored four touchdowns on defense this year and three on special teams. Junior kick returner Maurice Dupree (5-10, 180) has amassed 696 return yards this season. He’s also scored on an 89-yard kickoff return earlier this season and averages 33.4 yards per kickoff return and 13.9 yards for punt returns.

“He’s a real threat,” Spoo said. “He can make you miss. I can understand why they’ve had some success there because he’s really, really good.”

Fact Box: Battle for the Title – Look at Eastern-Jacksonville State series

Year/Result/Outcome

Nov. 15, 2003

JSU 36/EIU 24

JSU finished 8-4; won the league

EIU finished 4-8; tied for sixth in the league

Nov. 13, 2004

JSU 31/EIU 21

JSU finished 9-2; won the league

EIU finished 5-6; fourth in the league

Nov. 19, 2005

EIU 10/JSU 6

EIU finished 9-3; won the league

JSU finished 6-5; third in the league

Nov. 18, 2006

EIU 28/JSU 24

EIU finished 8-5; tied for first in league

JSU finished 6-5; tied for fourth in league

Showdown in the South

Showdown in the South

Junior linebacker Jack Kosinski takes down Tennesee State’s junior runningback Javarris Williams during Oct. 27, game in Nashville’s LP Field. Amir Prellberg/The Daily Eastern News