Ending it the way they started it

The first match of Eastern’s season was an exciting overtime thriller when freshman forward Alex Harrison scored an overtime goal to give the Panthers a 2-1 win against Belmont on Aug. 31.

Harrison was the hero again in the final match of the regular season Wednesday, ending the match against Asbury College in similar fashion.

The freshman netted his second goal of the match and fifth of the season in the 95th minute on a header to give the Panthers a 2-1 victory against Asbury College in Wilmore, Ky.

“(Junior Patrick Mabeya) got it out wide and crossed it,” Harrison said. “I turned and headed it into the corner.”

The Panthers (11-5-3) finished the regular season with 11 wins for the second-straight season with the victory against the Eagles (9-12).

The Eagles scored first on a penalty kick in the 64th minute after senior defender Jeremy Maubach fouled an Eagle in the top left corner of the box.

“They counterattacked,” senior midfielder Mick Galeski said. “Their guy went down, and the ref was pretty far away. He must have seen something because they gave him a penalty.”

The Eagles converted the kick, but only led for a short time against the Panthers.

Minutes later, Harrison scored his first goal of the match in the 67th minute from six yards out, off a pass from Galeski. Sophomore forward Evan Philpott was also awarded with the assist.

“Mick fired it low into the six yard spot,” Harrison said. “I just got it and fired it in.”

Harrison said the goal was important for the Panthers.

“It was good to get it soon,” Harrison said. “It allowed us to try to get the win in regulation.”

Asbury committed 11 players in front of the ball and made it difficult for the Panthers to score. The Panthers outshot Asbury 28-5. Eastern also won the corner kick battle 12-5. AC’s senior goalkeeper Brandon Ponchak made 14 saves.

“They played defensively,” Harrison said. “They tried to put a lot of guys in the middle and frustrate us.”

Galeski said this allowed them to clear more balls.

“They brought all 11 in and played very packed,” Galeski said. “This allowed them to clear a lot of balls off the line.”

Eastern head coach Adam Howarth said his team played an average game.

“We played average,” Howarth said. “We passed the ball well, but our finishing was poor, and we had lots of chances.”

Howarth said this game was a great test for his team for the Missouri Valley Tournament next week.

“This we a great test,” Howath said. “We had to play catch-up, but we played on. Our guys should be upset with how they played and make sure they play better next week.”

Eastern will play next in the opening round of the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament on Nov. 14 in Omaha, Neb.

Ending it the way they started it

Ending it the way they started it

Bradley University’s Grant Campbell battles Jeremy Maubach, a senior defender, for the ball during Saturday’s game at Lakeside Field.