A year older, a year better

Eastern comes into Missouri Valley Conference play with the best non-conference record (8-2-2).

But the Panthers have been in this situation before.

Last season, the Panthers were 8-3 headed into conference play, only to go 1-3-2 in the MVC and finish in sixth place.

The Panthers look to start MVC play with a win when they play Drake (7-3-1) at 4 tonight at Lakeside Field.

This year, the team has its eyes set on the top prize: the first MVC title in school history.

Senior midfielder and four-year starter Brad Earl said there are a number of reasons this year’s team is better than the last.

“We are more talented,” Earl said. “This is the most talent our team has had since my freshman year.”

Earl said the non-conference schedule and returning starters make a difference.

“We have played bigger programs this season on the road, and we have either won or tied,” he said. “We returned nine starters from a team that went to the conference semifinals last season. This is an experienced team – and an older team.”

Eastern head coach Adam Howarth agreed.

Howarth said second-year captain and senior midfielder Mick Galeski and the freshmen class have helped the team dramatically.

“This is Mick’s second year as captain, and he is a year older and better,” Howarth said. “The seniors, juniors and sophomores have all played great, and the freshman have added great depth to our team.”

Howarth said the experience of the older players has also made the team better.

“Our guys have gone through a lot of ups and downs,” Howarth said. “And our younger guys are getting used to playing together.”

Junior forward and three-year starter Brad Peters said chemistry is why this team is an improvement over last year’s squad.

“Our team chemistry is much better than last season’s,” Peters said. “Look at the stats; it is a lot of people scoring goals. This season has been a complete team effort. And our defense has been terrific.”

The Panthers have scored 19 goals through the season and, in 2006, scored 18 goals through 10 games. Seven different Panthers have scored this season; only five different Panthers scored before MVC play last season.

The team looks to use leadership, chemistry, depth and talent in the MVC opener.

Eastern played Drake to a scoreless draw last season in Des Moines, Iowa.

“Drake is tenacious and well coached,” Howarth said. “Their coach has a lot of passion, and it is brought by the players.”

Earl is expecting a great game at Lakeside Field.

“Both teams are even,” Earl said. “It should be a great game.”

A year older, a year better

A year older, a year better

Patrick Mabeya, junior defender, dribbles the ball forward against Valparaiso Sunday afternoon at Lakeside Field. The Panthers will have their first conference match tomorrow at 4 PM vs. Drake University at Lakeside Field. Amir Prellberg/The Daily Easter